1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I get concussion symptoms from tiny hits to the head

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shajarcito, May 7, 2023.

1. Shajarcito

Shajarcito Peer Supporter

It’s been a while since I last wrote here on the forum. I’m a 38 years old guy, have a long history of TMS, and made some progress with my symptoms during the last four years, as explained in earlier posts. However, now I’m facing something different than chronic TMS symptoms but a kind of mental conditioning to some concussion I got eight months ago.

When I climbed to the building roof to fix my boiler, a heavy steel door hit me on the head. I was shocked and felt horrible, but I hadn’t lost consciousness. I then quickly went to HR. There they did a head CT and released me to rest. Yet, I was going through debilitating concussion symptoms for about two weeks: headaches, neck pain, dizziness, nausea, low mood, and higher anxiety levels.

Since this real concussion, every little hit to my head has caused me the same symptoms, even though those hits are almost nothing for the average person. Before my concussion, I never felt anything after such minor hits.

My question for you guys to help me is with my suspicion of conditioning the TMS-style response I get when hitting my head again, even a gentle hit. I’m tall, so I tend to hit my head on doorposts, tree branches while entering cars, etc. The thing is that even the lightest hit to my head causes me similar concussion symptoms for a week or so. That’s a horrible experience to experience, so I’m afraid to hit my head even super gently.

The problem with concussion is that it can cause directly neurological symptoms (dizziness, nausea, and headaches) and mental symptoms like mood and anxiety. So, this is trickier than back pain or other classic chronic TMS pains and symptoms. It derives from physical trauma.

The critical question is, do you think the tiny head traumas I get sometimes can cause my concussion symptoms? I read somewhere that it takes one year for the brain to recover from a concussion fully; before that, even minor head hits can bring back the symptoms.

However, referring to my long TMS history, maybe the mind tricks me, and my brain healed after eight months, and it’s the TMS mechanism that cause the symptoms?

I would like to hear your opinions about that, especially if someone has gone through some similar scenarios with concussion or post-concussion symptoms.

If it does seem TMS-related, I would welcome any technique to work on mind conditioning for such tiny traumas

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  2. Booble

Booble Well known member

I'm not a medical doctor but I'm going to state with a certain degree of confidence that this is your fear. I get the same thing when I bump my head and it's clearly because I fear a concussion or more so a brain bleed. After a bang to the head, I over focus on it and I can see you are doing the same. If you are symptom searching, you are going to find the "negative" examples that fortify your fear and create those symptoms.
    The thing is, our skulls are remarkably hard and protective. These bangs that we get aren't going to hurt us.
    Believe it or not, your original head bang was not as bad as your mind thinks and fears. Remind your inner fearful self that you didn't lose consciousness, your CT scan was fine and the hospital immediately released you.

I don't have any real tips or tricks for you as I do continue to needlessly worry when I bang my head hard. The only thing that helps me is reminding myself of my hard skull and reminding myself that I didn't die the last many times my head got banged! I mostly try to put it out of my mind as best I can and "wait it out." AND most importantly not look up about it online after a bang.

JanAtheCPA and Dorado like this.
  3. Shajarcito

Thanks, Booble,
    Yea, I have health anxiety tendencies, as you describe, but this time is not the case.
    I'm not afraid of the medical implications of the bang, as these little bangs are tiny.
    What bothers me now is the horrific dizziness, nausea, and head pain I get after only a little bang. That sucks..
    Am I that sensitive to any friction?
    It's so difficult to live like that, being super cautious for each move, especially when I'm that tall..
    Thanks for your take, though, I found your words on the hard skull encouraging.

4. Booble

Booble Well known member

If I had a dollar for every time I've thought, "but this time it's not the case..." I'd be a very rich Booble!

Note that horrific dizziness, nausea and head pain are classic anxiety symptoms. Our bodies are good at making it feel physical. I mean it IS physical after all...

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    JanAtheCPA, Dorado and Shajarcito like this.
  5. Shajarcito

Haha yes I can relate to that!
    In TMS and anxiety, there are two fear groups - fear of the medical implications of the symptom/pain
    and the fear of the actual bad feeling of the symptom/the new confined life caused by the symptom.
    I'm more on the second fear now.
    The first fear I still have some relapses occasionally, regarding the muscle weakness in my hands.
    But most of the time I kind of handle it.

6. Booble

Booble Well known member

Does it matter which fear it is? It's still creating and exacerbating symptoms.
    I know you really, really, really want to believe that this is from the head bang 8 months ago. But that chances of that are actually extremely slim.
    What if next time you try saying to the feeling, "Hello dizziness! Hello nausea! Thanks for stopping by but I don't need you. I'm fine, thanks."

Shajarcito and Dorado like this.
  7. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

This is fantastic advice. I agree - if the hospital wasn’t concerned about the CT scan, one does not need to be stuck in a perpetual state of worry either. The very best medical care / due diligence was clearly provided in this case and there is a history of TMS.

Shajarcito, the hospital released you to get some rest, but it sounds like anxiety has prevented you from fully getting the rest you need. What are some things you genuinely enjoy that help you feel content? Baths, time with animals or friends, nature, cooking, etc.?

Shajarcito, JanAtheCPA and Booble like this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Slightly off-topic, and yet not: has anyone else noticed how these three symptoms, in particular, are the first ones listed in any drug literature you receive with a prescription? They come under the heading of "other side effects you might experience but which you probably don't need to worry about" (and obviously I'm paraphrasing).

Obvious correlation to anyone who understands the TMS brain mechanism - these are the anxiety side effects of having to take a new medication, presumably for a medical condition that also naturally causes its own anxiety.

Self-talk, as Booble already suggested.

Look into therapeutic breathing techniques.

The goal in any given moment of negativity (let's say dizziness and nausea, for example) is to immediately shut down your panic mode with mindful self-calming, using your breath and rational counter-thoughts.

Do something mindful and/or therapeutic for yourself every day. Meditation is an obvious choice, but a lot of us have difficulty maintaing a regular practice. Another suggestion is Nicole Sachs podcasts - I always find them to be incredibly comforting and reassuring. I might even suggest one a day as a therapeutic practice. You can work backwards or forwards, your choice - although if you don't know anything about her, start with her very first ones, back in 2018. Available wherever you get your podcasts (going back to Season 1 episode 1 might take a bit of scrolling down or back through multiple pages, however)(but totally worth it).

Booble and Shajarcito like this.
  9. Shajarcito

Thank you, guys, you are right.
    As for your hobby advice Dorado, sure I try my best to do some of those, but it's extremely difficult
    when my main hobby is blogging and growing my side hustle. Writing and thinking are exacerbating my symptoms..
    Maybe I shall switch to more light activities for the next few days until I feel better.

Unlike chronic TMS pains and symptoms I had, here my mind is tuned that after about a week my symptoms dissipate.
    So, should I surrender to these wires in my brain or can I try to rewire them?
    This is another thing I'm curious about to improve my head-bumps-sensitivity and the quality of this new unpleasant lifestyle I have since 8 months ago

10. Shajarcito

Thanks for your valuable advice,
    I've seen some videos of Nichole in the past, but I'll check what you've mentioned.

11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You're overthinking this!

Self-calming techniques ARE rewiring.

Switch gears, engage in the self-calming we've all suggested, and let go of the pressure you're putting on yourself. Self-compassion and nurturing go a long way towards healing.

Dorado and Shajarcito like this.
  12. Booble

Booble Well known member

Aha! A clue!
    If writing and thinking and working on your side hustle are exacerbating your symptoms, that's your place to start. Some unconscious feelings related to that is likely where you will find more answers and resolution than in trying to understand concussions (and/or rewiring your brain.) Especially as that lizard part of your brain is suggesting you switch to "more light activities for the next few days to see if you feel better." Feel better from what?
    What you are feeling is not from banging your head. And therefore there is no need to rest from it.

Dorado and Shajarcito like this.
  13. Shajarcito

Yea, I bet I need to think about this recovery simply less..
    For the side hustle, I know it requires me energies and in my current condition add to the tension,
    but this is something that will eventually help me feel better in the future. I've been journaling about that and know I want it, before and after the concussion.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  14. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

One thing I’ve noticed is that several things you’ve written have one thing in common.
    You think a lot about concussion.
    You blog as a hobby.
    You have a side hustle (so I assume also a main hustle).
    In common is a very, very busy brain. Always thinking. You did not mention resting nor having fun.
    Thinking constantly without rest can generate tension. It can also be just as big of a distraction from our emotion as any physical sensation. It in itself can be anxiety and can generate anxiety and tension.
    I think others are absolutely spot on when they point out you do not seem to give yourself time to live in or enjoy “the moment” - this space can be crucial for the mind to process stuff like emotions and experience true living. You can enjoy the other things but they are not necessarily “real” life, and your mind knows it. You simply need a little space to do that too.

Shajarcito likes this.
  15. Shajarcito

Well said, thanks.
    You provided me with very helpful stuff for my condition.
    I agree I should balance my thought-related activities (even their importance in my life) with some relaxing and light activities to connect with the right now moment,
    especially after such small hits to my head.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  16. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the key is NOT to do it just "after some small hits to my head" - that is teaching your brain to focus on that sensation and the things that are making you anxious.
    It's a different perspective than I think many of us with TMS are used to.
    Do you feel you have to be productive to have some sort of worth? Self-worth or worth in the eyes of others (even if that was something learned in the past but is not true now)?
    Is it hard to just chill out and not do: not do your blogging, not do your side hustle or even your main hustle? How does it make you feel?
    Do you feel truly happy and free at your side hustle or blogging does it make you engage in even more thinking? I ask because they are "doing" and learning not "do to" for awhile every day or a few times a week no matter if you have any symptoms, or anxieties is one of the keys to feel more free.

Shajarcito likes this.
  17. Booble

Booble Well known member

Well, I'm someone who does thinking things for hobby....we're all different. I don't think there is anything wrong with that if it's fun for you.

What's more relevant, I think, is how your inner self felt compelled to add to your post, "especially after such small hits to my head."
    No! Those hits to your head are irrelevant. Harmless. You see how hard your brain is trying to hold on to the notion that those small hits to your head are some how debilitating to you? THAT is TMS in a nutshell.

The truth that your TMS brain is trying very hard not to accept in order to distract and keep you down? Everyone hits there head. Our skulls handle it. Even if you had a hard hit 8 months ago. Those small hits are not doing anything bad at all. Nada. Nothing. You don't have to relax from them, or think about them. They are of no consequence and are not causing the dizziness and nausea. The TMS is using them as an excuse to cause you dizziness and nausea.

Note: I realize it's a lot easier said than done. I'm a health worrier too. It's really hard to get hit hard on the head or a million other daily things that happen and do what non anxious people do. Which is...go, "huh, that hurt." and then go on with their day like it never happened.

Shajarcito likes this.
  18. Shajarcito

Well, my relationship with thinking is complicated. I've journaled about that as part of my TMS journey and self-discovery.
    Creating things through thoughts and writing is my strength, and I agree that when I do it too much, aka burnout or overthinking, it becomes my enemy.
    So it's more about balancing my blogging than prioritizing more "to-do" things in my day.

I realized that all my TMS started in the first place because of failing at something I tried at the time (4 years ago) -
    get a full scholarship for a doctorate.
    After that, I realized it was a too competitive path for my sensitive soul, but I still needed something of my own.
    I can't just work on a 9-5 job for my boss. I need something meaningful I create myself.
    And the best, most enjoyable, and most effective way for me to do so is through content creation. It took me time to reach that insight.

My blog has filled my identity and helped me to feel better, including reducing some of my chronic TMS symptoms. That was more efficient than reassuring me I was fine and doing things to be present in the moment.

Therefore, it's more complex than what you tried to depict here.
    Creating knowledge and sharing my things through writing makes me feel good and wholesome.
    It stresses me sometimes, but it's the kind of work that makes me happy long term.

So for me, it's not to show self-worth for others, but rather, I enjoy the creation itself and, yes - the growing impact and the feedback I get.
    It's for my inner will to have a sense of meaning and joy.
    Over again, what I take from your advice and others here, is that I have to balance my work by working less and taking breaks more often, and DO things as well.
    I agree, maybe not only during such periods of head hits but also in general.

Thanks again for trying to help and providing an interesting angle to my issues

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  19. Shajarcito

Yea, I guess you are right. That is a classic TMS approach to my condition.
    Maybe I should go back to the fundamentals and try to adopt it, which is hard as you said..
    That said, I also realized in my 4 years of TMS journey that the classic approach (aka don't believe your fearful brain)
    is not always enough, and there are other complexities and techniques to overcome this thing.
    This is where the thinking vs. doing tendencies come into play, as relaxation techniques, and other balances that our mind-body requires from us.
    Thanks again

20. kai123

kai123 New Member

Hi! I'm late to the party but I just wanted to say that I used to have this exact issue. I got one concussion that I'm fairly sure was a physical injury, and then 5-6 more that I think we're TMS (but let me just say felt EXACTLY the same - and I developed post-concussion syndrome twice, yikes!).

I successfully retrained this symptom using a brain retraining program. I did techniques from that particular program when I found myself worrying about concussion, as well as visualisation exercises, and making myself feel safe if/when little bumps happened. It's been over two years since my last symptom relapse, and I've now had three minor bumps with no symptoms!

My GP said, similar to your comment, that getting a concussion can make you more prone to getting one again in the short term, and there isn't a consensus on why. TMS much? It makes total sense that the brain would freak out about protecting itself. But there's no harm in trying to treat it like a mind body issue. The worst thing that can happen is you're hopefully a bit less scared if it happens again.

Shajarcito, Booble and JanAtheCPA like this.