1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Ibs, levator

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Karen1954, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Karen1954

Karen1954 Newcomer

I know the mind plays a significant part in my daily journey through my
    Problems but I also know that broken bones caused a lot of my degenerative disc disease and with being on an opiate drug for six years wreaks havoc with the gi tract. When I have that problem whether it be constipation or diarrhea it then makes the pelvic floor muscle react poorly so it's all connected. How do I resolve normal functions?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Karen. I'm sorry about your symptoms and also about your other post about being in three accidents in a month. That's definitely no fun.

Just do what you can to resume normal activity... walking even if only at home, doing the daily chores, etc.

If you haven't yet, start the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site. It helps to discover more about TMS and its causes.

With those accident injuries, you probably have had physical exams. If they show anything structural, follow the doctor's advice, but I think it also can help you to learn about TMS. Dr. John Sarno's book HEALING BACK PAIN applies to all pain.

Practice deep breathing. Take a deep belly breath, inflate it like a balloon, and inhale through the nose for a few seconds, hold the breath a bit, then exhale through the mouth a little longer than the breath you took in. There are free videos on Youtube on how to do this.

Keep positive. Your pains and gi tract problems will go away.

3. Karen1954

Karen1954 Newcomer

4. Karen1954

Karen1954 Newcomer

Thank u so much for replying to my posts. I definitely need support. I have had three neck fusions which were definitely needed. My pain has finally gotten better over the last six years. This all started in 1997 when my neck would freeze up. Took 12 years to find a surgeon who knew what he was doing. The headache in the butt is soooo debilitating but after watching the seminars on the Internet with dr schubiner really opened my eyes. Like I said both gi and colorectal doctors have suggested therapy for the mind and I'm hoping by reading his book I will find ways to help me. Your reply was so special to me cuz I need that support. I have family support but they r busy with their lives. People that don't have these types of situations don't understand the depression and defeat I often feel. Again thank u for your support.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Karen,

This sounds very frustrating and indeed depressing. The really great news it that your docs have suggested psychotherapy! They obviously know what the neuroscientists know, which is that your brain is in charge of every physiological process in your body. Accepting this fact is essential to fully understanding your TMS symptoms.

We also know that your brain can change your physiological processes arbitrarily (which is why we get TMS). And what you now need to understand is that YOU can change your brain. Neuroscientists are busy proving that fact every single day. If you believe this to be true, you can do it yourself.

And goodness, I haven't thought about this little book in YEARS - it's called Creative Visualizations, and it teaches you how to create your own meditations in order to visualize changes you want to make in your life and your health. As I recall, Shakti Gawain offers different types of meditations in the book, at least one of which is sure to either appeal to you, or which will apply to your health issues.

I lost track of the power of visualization during the bad years that led up to my TMS crisis in 2011, but these days I use it and talk about it all the time. However, if you don't know what that actually means, this is the book for you.

Your brain has been conditioned to operate your GI tract in a way that keeps your conscious mind engaged with fear and worry - especially if you are convinced that you've done something to it (which may not even be true, because that could be a common result of TMS conditioning!)

Your brain needs to be re-conditioned and trained to behave. You have the power to do that.

And, you know, therapy with a mental health professional who understands the mind-body connection might also be a really good idea.

6. Karen1954

Karen1954 Newcomer

7. Karen1954

Karen1954 Newcomer

Thank u so very much Jan for your input. My gi doctors said my Ibs was due to stress and opiate usage. I was at a job for 12 years off and on the last two after my neck fusions. Was walking on eggshells everyday!!! Finally went to my pcp after not having a poo in 12 days. Had to take a week off for testing. Came back and was fired!!! I guess a blessing in disguise. Been on permanent disability ever since. I know I'm a worrier!!! I know that is a waste of time and energy but so hard to break!!!! I'm also very family oriented and soon to be an empty nester and that really upsets me cuz I'm so very close to my kids. Don't see my daughter and grandkids very much and they live close. She's super busy!!! I do understand but hurts my feelings and I'm super emiotional too. So excited to read dr schubiners book. I've never really taken care of me. Always someone else since I was 8! My mother had to be in a hospital for awhile so I took over a lot. Done that my entire life and I'm now 60! Sorry for the long story. I think too much and dwell on my stomach issues which I'm now trying to break but when u wake up to a churning tummy it's kinda hard to not think about. Lol. Thank u again for reaching out. It is greatly appreciated as I can use the support!!!!

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Karen. I think you need to appreciate yourself more. You've been helping others all your life. It's time now to care more for yourself.

Everyone is so busy these days, my relatives rarely visit me. Its been that way for many years. If I don't go to them, I won't see them very much.
    I thank heaven for the few friends and relatives I do see now and then and who keep in touch by email or letters and phone.

Take care of yourself.

9. Karen1954

Karen1954 Newcomer

T

10. Karen1954

Karen1954 Newcomer

Walt. Thank u so much for your kind words. That's easier said than done. Have never put myself first. As I mentioned I don't see my daughter and son in law or grandkids too often as they both work fulltime and then it's their family time. I usually have to go visit them if I want to see them. Our son still lives at home but he's moving out next spring with his soon to be wife. I know they will make me a priority when that happens. My mom is 90 so I try and visit her and help her about three times a week. She's not able to drive or get out much so I try to do what I can. Really don't have any friends to do things with. My Ibs and levator Ani have kept me pretty isolated and most of my friends were at the job I got fired from. I'm pretty much alone as far as friends go but that's ok. I've met u which is great. Someone who can understand this tms stuff is a great source of comfort. Unless u have pain like I do no one understands not even my physicians. I look forward to talking to u more. I'm going to try and focus more on me and get my health better. If u don't have your health u don't have anything. I do know that. Thank u Walt.