1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Incredible, Honest Chronic Migraine Recovery Story

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lauraseago, Dec 8, 2017.

1. lauraseago

lauraseago Peer Supporter

Hey TMS Wiki! I hope you have all seen the awesome piece in TechCrunch about our app, Curable. The woman in the story is the wife of the journalist who wrote the piece, and her life has been completely changed. She experienced RSI decades ago and was an instant "book cure" when she picked up Sarno's books. However, it wasn't until recently that she truly believed these ideas could work for her chronic migraine, too.

I did an in-depth interview with her to get the full story, and it's SO inspiring for anyone out there who is still in the early days of recovery. She had everything working against her mentally - family history of migraine, aggressive treatments that never worked, weeklong inpatient stays in the hospital, constant trips to the neurologist, attacks lasting up to 16 days, completely limited diet, etc. And now she is almost COMPLETELY better. It happened in about one month.

It made me cry just editing this together. We have a full transcript of the interview here, along with the full hour-long audio file (personally I recommend listening to the audio!).

One of my favorite parts that I'm sure many of you will find relatable is when she goes into her neurologist to tell him that she's feeling better because of this online program. She was worried he would think she was nuts, but luckily, she had someone who really GOT it!

"We went to see him, my husband and I together, when I started to feel better And I felt a bit sheepish. I was like this…. 'This thing has happened... ' I was worried he would think I was crazy.

"But there's so much good science about this stuff out there right now that he said 'Yes, absolutely. This makes sense. It does sound like this program is particularly good. Give me the information. I would like to take a look at it and start recommending it to my clients.'

"And so that was really great to have. There was something about his seal of approval that really helped. Yeah. And then the next thing he said to me that was an absolute game changer was he said "I want you to go out into the world now and start to reintroduce the things you have become afraid to do." And having the doctor's sign off to do it... Huge. Huge.

"So I had a glass of red wine, and nothing bad happened. And I hadn't had one of those in I think at least three years. I started to push harder when I exercised... You know people can get migraine triggers or exercise triggered migraines."

Were your non-TMS doctors this supportive? I know my chiro looked at me like I had three heads, lol. Anyway, hope y'all find this helpful!

MindBodyPT, Ellen and Saffron like this.
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

congratz, hope the app really takes off.

lauraseago likes this.
  3. lauraseago

Thanks @Gigalos! So many of Sarno's ideas are now (finally!) being supported by research, and we're hopeful that we can help bring that to the attention of people in pain, the medical community, and more. Glad to have this community supporting us and providing feedback along the way!

4. Ines

Ines Well known member

Nice. I can't wait to listen today. Similar story with me.

lauraseago likes this.
  5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I like the quote by Howard Schubiner in All the Rage:

Thomas Kuhn wrote about this in The Structure of Scientific Revolution. What he showed through all of these paradigm shifts in science was that ridicule occurs first and then comes discrepancies.. something’s not right, somthing’s wrong in what we’re doing… and then comes the data. And now we have the data. We know how the brain works. We know that the back’s not broken most of the time. This paradigm is going to shift and Dr. Sarno is going to get the credit that he deserves. And when it shifts everyone will say, ‘Oh yeah- we knew it all along.’

lauraseago, MindBodyPT and Ines like this.
  6. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thanks for sharing. What an amazing story. Everything she described rang true.

lauraseago likes this.
  7. lauraseago

@Gigalos absolutely. It's amazing how our understanding continues to evolve as more research pours in, but the core principles are just being reinforced. Plus, the research is coming from so many different sources... many of which aren't even familiar with Sarno's ideas. I really do think we are reaching a tipping point with this.

@Ines so glad that it resonated with you! Susan is such a champ, she doesn't care how many people (or even doctors) try to poke holes. And it's really paying off.... she gets to watch as person after person tells her "your story made me try this, and now I'm feeling better." What a gift. Out of curiosity, any favorite takeaways for you? What did she say that really hit home?

Ines likes this.
  8. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi, Mostly how I related to what it was like to go through chronic migraines and the despair around it. It took me much longer to get better though. I found it interesting that fear was mostly what she talked about and didn't mention the unconscious too much. Working on fear was mostly the 2nd part of my healing. The first part was working on what stored emotions could be in my unconscious. But, now I am exactly how she described. I'm down to maybe 1 migraine per month and sometimes I do get that buzz in my head like one wants to start but I just ignore it and it goes away. Also, when I do get one, it goes away much faster and it isn't as debilitating. Thanks for sharing the audio link.

Ellen and lauraseago like this.