1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is anxiety during Menopause TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Penny2007, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

I'd like to hear feedback about whether anxiety during menopause is TMS. I've been menopausal for a couple of years and had what used to be called a "nervous breakdown" 18 months ago after my mother came to visit. It started with severe back pain and then spiraled into the most horrible anxiety where I couldn't eat, sleep sit still or otherwise function and ended up on antidepressants - another horror story in and of itself.

My mother went through something similar during menopause but she had always suffered mental health issues so I never thought the same thing would happen to me! I personally think that the hormonal changes are the fuel for the fire but perhaps not the cause. After all, I haven't exactly had a peachy life and the anxiety didn't come out of nowhere.

I recently heard from a menopause expert that the women he sees who suffer the most anxiety during menopause are those that have always had a lot of stress and worry. Their hormonal balance helped them feel OK and deal with their issues but once the hormones because depleted/out of balance, they could no longer cope.

Thoughts?

2. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

I agree with this 100%. Since I became Menopausal, my anxiety just spiraled and became worse and worse. I use this forum, books by Dr. Sarno, the Curable App, running and time with friends to keep me in balance. But i definitely know there is a TMS/Menopause/Anxiety link!

Penny2007 likes this.
  3. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello @Penny2007 ,

I think there is a strong link between anxiety and peri menopause and menopause. I never had anxiety in my life and then suddenly I woke up with it one day in my mid-40s. I have now had anxiety and insomnia on and off for three years.

TMS techniques, Claire Weekes, Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn and other resources have been helpful. I have reduced or eliminated many TMS equivalents. Having said that, anxiety and insomnia seem to be the most difficult for me to treat and yes, I think there is a strong hormonal link. I have seen this mentioned in many articles.

Also, maybe it is just me but the nights are the most difficult. It seems like everything comes out at night. Does anyone else feel this?! I’m trying my best to feel my emotions, be easy on myself, etc. Having said that, I do have a full time job and kiddos to raise so I try my best to mangage ;). Good luck!

AC45

4. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

@AC45 did you ever consider HRT (or BHRT)? Did you have TMS before the anxiety hit?
    If anxiety is a type of TMS and we are meant to repudiate any physical causes then that would include menopause. However, I'm not entirely convinced menopause has nothing to do with it, even though a well known TMS doctor told me that he knows of no good research that links anxiety and menopause and thinks it is more likely that it is the stress of menopause rather then the physiologic changes of menopause that cause anxiety.
    He told me to stop worrying about menopause and stop attributing my symptoms to menopause.

As I wrote in my original post, I think that the hormonal changes makes it more difficult to deal with the stress you've always had. I think most women who suffer anxiety in menopause have had a difficult life but there are certainly those who suffer from anxiety during menopause who have not had a particularly difficult life or any type of TMS prior to menopause.

5. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello,

I think the hormonal fluctuations in perimenopause have impacted my ability to manage stress. I think this contributed to me coming down with anxiety for the first time in my mid-40s. Is it the only reason? I don’t think so. Does it impact your ability to deal? I think so. I’m taking birth control pills to manage the perimenopause. It is helping but it is not an end all. TMS techniques coupled with mindfulness and lots of reading to learn about what I am going through seems to help me.

AC45

Penny2007 likes this.
  6. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Ian,

Here is my two cents, for what it's worth ;)

There are supplements that can can really help your mom, and if that isn't enough bioidentical hormones can make a huge difference. When I was taking synthetic hormones they didn't work. That doesn't mean they won't for your mom, but it is important to know. I started with my gynecologist and she was really helpful, but I went to a naturopathic doctor who had me take additional supplements and add another hormone and then I started doing really well. I ran out of supplements when I was delayed getting home from a trip and I had the extreme nervousness return, so the hormones were not enough by themselves. I hope your mom is doing better soon!

Lizzy

Mars497@ likes this.
  7. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

8. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for your positive reply that you can get better from hormonal imbalance symptoms. I am exploring the supplement path right now as I am very much in the throes of perimenopause which I do believe set off my anxiety and TMS body issues such as back pain, sometimes knee/ankle/foot pain and just generalized tension that I know now has caused all the subsequent muscle and joint pain.
    I have not had much luck with regular gynos as they tend to sympathize but don’t believe in testing your hormones. They want to treat with synthetic hormones and antidepressants. I found a natural progesterone cream that is providing some relief but nothing miraculous yet. Any advice? I am not sure how to know what naturopath would be qualified and you know when you’re in it you certainly don’t want to tip the apple cart any worse than it already is if you know what I mean. Everything just feels so out of whack already.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hello Mars,

I suggest looking at the about us, or meet our practitioners pages, and look for someone who is interested in female hormone balance. Maybe someone early 30's or younger, because hopefully they will be current in the latest ideas. I actually started seeing mine during perimenopause and am so glad I did. Good luck!
    Lizzy

Mars497@ likes this.
  10. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

Thanks, Lizzy!

Lizzy likes this.
  11. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi Penny,

I am sure it’s mostly from Menopause. I am having a very hard time since the whole change’ started. In fact i am so anxious and tired.. i am feeling exauted
    The muscle and joint pain.. the sleep troubles the tears and fears.. it’s terrible
    Have tried a lot so far.. acupuncture, suplements and bio identical hrt
    But had side effects and have tried many different dossis so far
    So is there a tms link: let me speak for myself: i am a worrier, a sensitive person.. had tms and have symptoms now that could be both.. so am at the point I realize: no one knows
    The pandemic has also huge effect on my nervous system
    I keep doing the tms work
    I got rid of my biggest tms problem and when menopause hit hard .. i am sort of drawn back in.. so?

12. LittleWildflower

LittleWildflower Newcomer

I would love to know how everyone’s got on. Was TMS or HRT useful?

13. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This is an old thread, but since it's been revived, I'll offer my two cents:

Menopause -->> facing Aging -->> facing Mortality all of which = RAGE

... and of course, all students of Dr. Sarno understand that RAGE typically leads to repression of rage, and repression of the associated frightening and emotionally painful truths about reality. And repression leads to TMS symptoms. And TMS symptoms will take full advantage of any physiological disruption that's already occuring in the body - such as the actual physiological changes which take place in the body of every woman upon reaching a certain age (or early hysterectomy, of course, which is even more physiologically and therefore psychologically disruptive).

It's still TMS. And it's probably one of the more obvious TMS connections there is, when you think about it!

To be treated as follows:
    Face the truth about reality.
    Acknowledge the truth about reality, and the rage associated with it.
    For better or worse, be willing to Accept the truth about reality, and absolutely forgive yourself for the rage - because menopause, aging, and mortality all SUCK.