1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Clarke Is GERD TMS?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed with TMS a few years ago for fibromyalgia, bad foot and ankle pain, tendinitis, GERD, etc. and was able to rid myself of most of the symptoms, except for the GERD. A few years back, my first endoscopy showed inflammation in the esophagus and further 24 hr ph test showed acid reflux reaching up to my throat. My most recent endoscopy showed what my doctor believes, based on the pathology results, to be Barrett's esophagus, which terrifies me. I've tried on and off for years to act like this GERD was TMS and ignore my symptoms and continue to eat and drink what I want, but I just continuously will have this raw soreness in my esophagus and throat and burning irritation in my mouth. I do believe my GERD is linked to stress and likely TMS, since when I take Xanax or go on a relaxing vacation the symptoms drastically decrease and sometimes even disappear briefly, but I just can't seem to get rid of them otherwise. Have you successfully treated people who sound just like me with their GERD and related damage? Do you have any advice? Thank you!

2. davidclarke

davidclarke Author & Physician

Answer
    One of the most challenging situations we physicians face is when a patient simultaneously has symptoms from TMS (which I prefer to call PPD for psychophysiologic disorder) and symptoms from an organ disease (such as GERD with or without Barrett's esophagus). Though some patients may have an interaction between these two conditions (stress may lead to more acid reflux in some people), for the most part these are two separate forms of illness. In this case the appropriate approach is to treat both conditions and not focus too much on trying to guess what proportion of the symptoms comes from one or the other. Complete success in treating PPD may relieve many symptoms elsewhere in the body but still leave a patient with the GERD and certainly will not affect the Barrett's and this appears to be what has happened in your case. I wish I had better news but keep working with your doctors since GERD/Barrett's is a focus of active research, we have good treatments and new treatment ideas are likely in the future.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.