1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. Is thoracic pain structural or tms?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I have thoracic pain around two disks that are mildy herniated. It wraps around into my stomach. I have tms personaility. But am still stuck not knowing what avenue to pursue. Medical or psychological. Ive had injections and they are temporary. Im at my wits end.

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi, thanks for the question. Sorry to hear you're in such discomfort! If you feel that your physiological condition does not explain your level of pain and that you match up to the descriptions of a "TMS Personality" I would highly recommend that you try to speak with a doctor that has experience and understanding with mind-body issues/TMS. That way you don't have to choose between the two routes. Instead, you can get as much info as possible and make an informed decision with the help of a professional. If the doctor advises you to, you can then take a TMS approach when dealing with your symptoms, comfortable in the knowledge that you are taking the right path.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Carc612

Carc612 New Member

What if there is not a TMS Dr or therapist where I live? I have the same pain as the the person who posted. I’ve had mri which showed disc narrowing. Also have pain in the right arm. Mri showed no tears or structural problem. Diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis and did PT. No change in pain. I have the TMS personality and my pain moves around too.

Luz likes this.
  4. Paige NeJame

Paige NeJame New Member

You can work with a TMS therapist by Skype (I do this and it’s fantastic). Alan Gordon has a practice that does this in California.

5. HardissonHard

HardissonHard Newcomer

Thanks for such a professional answer!