1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Key Scientific Papers

Discussion in 'Research' started by plum, Oct 14, 2017.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

http://www.rickhanson.net/key-papers/ (Key Scientific Papers - Dr. Rick Hanson)

From Rick Hanson, an impressive collection of key scientific papers on the following subjects;

neurology
    systems theory
    consciousness
    mindfulness and meditation
    psychotherapy
    nutrition
    positive psychology
    pain and punishment
    pleasure and reward
    negativity bias
    emotion
    cognition
    decision-making
    resilience and coping
    memory and learning
    relationships
    self
    morality
    depression
    drugs
    neurotheology
    evolution
    non-human species

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Impressive indeed, great post Plum!

plum likes this.
  3. hodini

hodini Peer Supporter

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent link my dear. I just forwarded it to my Dad as he loves this kind of information. I do appreciate the friendly nudge to keep the mind crystal clear especially in these polarised times.

Balsa11 likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the resources that had a huge influence on my TMS recovery was "Meditations to Change Your Brain" by Rick Hanson and Dr. Richard Mendius. The program clearly explained how our primitive brains influence us so negatively - how we are wired to be constantly scanning for danger. Once I understood that concept, I was able to finally hear my own negative thoughts, and change them. Brilliant stuff.

the poster looks pretty cool, actually

Balsa11 and plum like this.
  6. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Thanks Plum,
    Rick Hansen's book "Back in Control" had good references and was an informative read. Being research-minded, his inclusion of the results of various brain studies was of interest to me. I will happily log onto this site to learn more. Also, hodini's chart is outstanding. I see it being used as 'bias of the day' or some such activity.
    Glad to see your posts again.
    Lainey

plum likes this.
  7. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

I found this to be of great interest (and a quicker read than Plum's articles, which will take some time to go through <3). However, I also found some disturbing premises within the explanation of the biases.

Declinism: Despite living in the most peaceful and prosperous time in history, many people believe things are getting worse.
    While the newsfeeds are stirring up the world (they have always done so), the horrifying events going on world wide is real. That they have always existed does not negate that they are happening now. Hate and intolerance are alive and thriving and feeding on itself. A tiny example: I attended a Town Hall meeting to support a friend who was challenging a law that would not allow her to practice Tarot readings (which she only relays positive and kind words). A man stood up and bellowed out about witchcraft and Satanism and sacrificing babies. It was an ugly ugly scene, and many supported him. The attack on this gentle young woman was viscous. Fortunately, there were reporters present. Unfortunately, the news went nationwide about a small town being so backwards, and many residents had to explain that they did not agree with these views. Ultimately, the law was changed, but the hate did not. Hate and prejudice is rampant in countless places. And as always, there is the other side ... those fighting against it. And then there is the financial aspect. I do not believe the majority would say they are more prosperous. Just the opposite.

Placebo: Homeopathy, acupuncture, and many other forms of natural 'medicine' have been proven to be no more effective than placebo.
    I find this to be a bias in and of itself. I very much believe in the placebo effect, and it is a wonderful tool. But there is a strong bias stating that all 'alternative' medicine is a placebo. Part of this bias is deeply ingrained from a generational standpoint - for many decades, the marketing of pharmaceuticals has been very effective in creating prejudices against anything that does not make them money. What people don't realize is that medicine (the non-synthetic ones) are based on plant medicine. For example, Aspirin comes from Willow Bark. An even more specific example is using herbs and flowers as medicine. I drink Catnip and Chamomile at night. Many would say this is a placebo. Yet ...... my beautiful Lucy (Golden Retriever/Lab) badly broke her hind foot. The vet offered us tranquilizers to keep her subdued and quiet. I declined the medicine and give her the Catnip/Chamomile tea six times a day. For the last six weeks, she has remained 'gently sedated'. My dog does not have expectations that the tea is going to make her drowsy, so it cannot be a placebo. (our vet also highly supports our 'alternative' approach to health care, including that I make my dog food). I also give her many massages, which helps her relax and eases her pain. She craves them at times, and positions herself exactly where she wants me to rub.

There are biases in everything, from subtle to overt. There are even biases in the explanation of biases. Most of the statements given on this site were very informative and thought-provoking. I like my thoughts to be provoked ;)

I will be sharing this site .... so thank you very much for sharing it :)

..... always with Love and Gratitude ^_^

Balsa11, plum and Lainey like this.
  8. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Dearest Lily Rose
    Your have a clear view of the biases that prevail, in spite of what seems to be, others will see the opposite, and so it is. When I was in college we learned of the placebo effect, yet were wisely told that this seemingly false cure, was as effective as meds, (I recall the percentage of 40%). We were also informed that these 'placebos' were not necessarily temporary cures. So, I ask, why the disdain for placebo? I think many would point to the corporate greed and historic leanings towards the 'medical' community' as the answer to all of our ailments. I have even wondered about Dr. Sarno's warning to steer clear of so called "placebo" cures as a hold out from his earlier medical days. The TMS site wants to be clear that we understand the 'difference'. I am never quite certain that I do. hmmm
    Lainey

Balsa11, Lily Rose and plum like this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah baby, smiling here (and you know why).

Don't feel obliged to plough through those articles, only read what takes your fancy. I like Dr. Hanson's soft lens and trust his good heart not to plague his readers with potential harms. I wish more scientists possessed such a tender approach to life. It's the roughshod that troubles me. Life is not a variable to be isolated...it simply is.

Thinking of you on this sweet and dark night. Please give Lucy a cuddle for me. xxx

Balsa11 and Lily Rose like this.
  10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

...and so it is.

I like that. xxx

Lily Rose likes this.
  11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree, that program is brilliant. It transformed my understanding of TMS in giving me something more concrete to relate to. I adore the psycho-emotional stuff but sometimes find I need a place to pitch my tent and reflect awhile. Rick's work really helps me with that. I think it's the perspective.

Balsa11, JanAtheCPA and Lily Rose like this.
  12. Lily Rose

Lainey, you are so sweet and gentle and beautiful ... thank you for the Love you so clearly radiate <3

The disdain, I think, is along the lines of saying "It's all in your head" with that dismissive tone. Placebos are 'all in the head'. Sort of. The scorn that comes with that can undermine the value and effectiveness of the most amazing tool in our body ..... the ability to heal many of our own ailments. Or , more importantly, the ability to heal in a more natural and symbiotic manner using Nature and self-compassion, and the touch of loving hands on our body.

We do not exist in isolation. We are part of Nature. We ARE Nature, even though many act otherwise (this is very self destructive). When a dog wants to either soothe her stomach or throw up, she will eat certain types of grasses. Animals know what feels good to the body. They seek what helps them.

Bias is tricky. We all have them. And social pressure can be devastatingly strong, so if 'society' mocks a more natural method of healing, we have to fight not just what we are going through, but the pressing weight of disdain or scorn for believing what we do.

Imagine ... if every single person believed we could do our own healing. The sheer power of that would wondrous. We all need emotional support from our 'community', whatever that community may be. We also seek approval and validation. This is all woven into our bodies. We cringe from disapproval and bask in approval. That is a chemical response and it affects is physically.

Placebo is a beautiful word to me. It says I have power. Of course, that flashes me to an image of Wonder Woman ;) Maybe Placebo needs a Super Hero costume!

TMS is not a new concept. The idea of healing ourselves is not new at all. It is just presented in a more practical manner, with a community that can explore and discuss the various aspects. It is becoming 'mainstream'. Which is good. But it can also become fanatical, which is not so good. In all things, balance is important.

Asking questions is always good. When you stop asking questions, you stop learning.

.... always with Love and Gratitude ^_^

Balsa11, JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  13. hodini

hodini Peer Supporter

Hi Lainey,

I agree, as far as I know the placebo effect had been rather consistantly proven and measured proven in percentages ranging from 30-40%. That is quite a statistic. For me, it is well documented evidence for mind-body at work. The interesting thing for me, is that it works "mindlessly" my term, and requires no "mindfulness" and I see that more as a cash cow that many have jumped on.

It only really has some negative connotation when used in the pharma industry as a standard of proof that the drugs need to exceed to be considered viable, so, if the placebo works 30% of the time and the drug works 50% of the time, needs to be processed through your internal organs etc....which one is really more effective. Placebo has a bad rap that is undeserved.

JanCPA I just meant to point that out in the event that I may have gone outside the guidelines of the site in including something that had something for sale, I thought it was cool too!

Placebo is a beautiful word to me. It says I have power. Of course, that flashes me to an image of Wonder Woman ;)Maybe Placebo needs a Super Hero costume!

LOL, thats great!!!! Of course it would be gender neutral........

14. Lily Rose

:D Gender neutral, no way! Each person would have their own costume, but it would be their Placebo Power Costume ;) Mine will involve Faerie arm bands and Willow-woven coronet with trailing ribbons, and flowing skirts ;)

.... with Love and Whimsy and Magic ::::....

Lainey, plum and Gigalos like this.
  15. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

16. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Genius. :)

17. JanAtheCPA

Minor note here: I believe that Back In Control (book and program) is by Dr. David Hanscom, MD - a radical back surgeon from Seattle who is happiest when his patients cancel their surgeries. I couldn't find a reference to such a book by Rick Hanson.

They are both awesome contributors to the practice of mind-body healing, however!

Balsa11, Marls and plum like this.
  18. JanAtheCPA

This is a tough one to wrap our heads around, isn't it?

Even though I completely credit Dr. Sarno with giving me my life back, I don't take everything he wrote as gospel, especially some of the early stuff. After all, it seems to me that he was still changing and revising his theories and advice over the years, as he should! His mind was still open to new information and new learning, as all our minds should be.

The concept of the placebo as a powerful tool is gaining ground, which I think is very exciting - the problem is that there's no money in it for Big Pharma. Other areas of medicine and psychology might be able to take advantage, however - if you've been following the discussion here about the Curable app, it was just favorably reviewed for the Tech Crunch web site - and the $5/month cost (after a free trial) was compared extremely favorably to the Mayo Clinic's $40,000 "perception malfunction" treatment program for chronic pain. That's right, I said $40,000!!!! For offering what is probably the same information we get by hanging around here.

I realized at some point early in my TMS journey that I have been using placebos for years. The best example is taking Vitamin C. A couple of weeks before April 15 (my big stressful tax deadline) and also before a big (usually expensive) vacation, I will double-up on the C, and add echinacea so that I don't succumb to whatever virus is making the rounds. I've been doing this ever since I was caught totally off-guard by a stomach virus that our teenager brought home, which hit me during the night of April 13 one year. Disaster was only averted thanks to a retired (and brave) colleague who was able to crank out extension requests (and take them to the post office) with me lying on the floor telling her how to handle each client. I said to myself "Never again!" And it's never happened again, even though both of these supplements have been shown to be ineffective in preventing illness, in controlled studies. I don't care. I believe in them, and since learning about TMS and the placebo effect, I realized that the true effectiveness lies in my own ability to boost my immune system. What the supplements are doing is giving my brain a tool to stay on task, by putting its focus on a few capsules every day for a couple of weeks during high-stress periods. Works for me! (sings "Power to the Placebo", not very well, to the tune of John Lennon's Power To The People)(Right on!) dancea

Balsa11, plum and Lily Rose like this.