1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hecate105, Oct 22, 2020.

1. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I listened to a few programmes on radio 4 (uk radio) about 'long covid'. People who had had covid were left with symptoms that lasted months.... They mostly had not had the virus severely - but after apparent recovery - found they had symptoms such as fatigue, pain, brain fog etc.... Sound familiar folks?!
    I wondered whether we may be seeing a TMS reaction started by the virus? It is extremely stressful - and very likely to send people over the top psychologically....
    My so called 'fibromyalgia' started after a car crash. It took 22 years to realise it was TMS.
    I am concerned that we may now have large amounts of people developing TMS after covid - devastating for them and their families.
    I hope if it is so - that society in general will be open to bodymind /TMS modes of healing.....

2. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

I think it's possible for sure.

hecate105 likes this.
  3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like TMS to me whenever I read or hear about it. It reminds me of people claiming they developed ME and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome following a bout of flu.

However, I’m an administrator, not a doctor. ;)

BTW, why aren’t you two Beloved Grand Eagles? @Forest ??!!!

hecate105 and Enrique like this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting. I thought the same thing when I read those .. I have tried really hard to keep my head out of 'covid' stories. I know a few people who got it , so I know it's 'real' but the media with nothing to chew on but one story is a surefire way to give it way more attention than it deserves...

remember Sarno's 'Nocebo' ?
    I have been surrounded by people having personal life meltdowns... I am certain the lockdown had a good deal to do with that... They might have been better served by GETTING covid than the worrying.

and the people who get it are hanging on to it to stay good and distracted.

hecate105 likes this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I saw WHO report where they are saying about 10% of COVID survivors end up with long COVID. While some of it can certainly be TMS, people end up with lasting lung and heart damage. But fatigue is a different story.

hecate105 likes this.
  6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a very interesting podcast about long-haulers:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars/episode-24 (Episode 24: Long-Haulers)

P.S. The actual part about long-haulers starts at about 18 minutes into it. The first 18 minutes are really for the benefit of the United States listeners only, as United States seems to be the only country where recommendations of professional infectious disease researchers have to be defended as legitimate.

7. victoriam

victoriam Newcomer

I got sick in July but tested negative for covid 3 times, I had all these new neurological symptoms. The docs have done so many tests but cant figure what is wrong with me. I came across Dr Sarno's book and I feel like maybe I have TMS. Everything happended so suddenly, from very healthy to very sick.

TG957 likes this.
  8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think long Covid is mostly physical, based on the amount of damage the virus can do, and the various places it attacks the body. That said, I agree that there will likely be an epidemic of TMS-type long Covid cases, which will be very hard to distinguish from the physical ones. That is my opinion, only based on following the Covid stuff with lots of attention.

victoriam,
    I am sorry about your symptoms. If you want to take a purely or even a partial TMS approach, it can't hurt, and it might help, even if what you're experiencing has a physical basis. This might mean working in mindfulness, working with fear, etc. There are many resources at the Wiki, programs which guide you through learning how much the mind can create/intensify symptoms. I'm not saying this is all in your head. I'm saying that you can work with your head, given the stress this is causing.

Regarding chemical treatments, I just found this site. Has some soon-arriving stuff on treatment for long haulers. I am not a physician!! I can tell you that studies point to treatments which have not been accepted by mainstream media/internet giants. So in all of this Covid stuff, it is best to work with a free thinking physician to broaden your options.

https://covid.us.org/2020/10/13/supplements-for-longcovid/ (Supplements for LongCovid)

TG957 likes this.
  9. victoriam

victoriam Newcomer

Thank you, do you have any recommendations for hair loss. Thankfully much of my pain has nearly gone away but I continue to lose so much hair.

10. sheltered

sheltered Peer Supporter

I share the concern about the more "long" symptoms getting reported, the more people will catch them. Sounds suspiciously similar to TMS but I guess time will tell.

11. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle