1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Making a progressive stride in recovery from back pain?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jorgem12, Jul 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

Hi all! I joined the TMS wiki almost 2 years ago when I first learned about Dr. Sarno's work since I had had chronic pain for a couple of years along with other TMS symptoms (anxiety, acid reflux, etc).

In my 2-year journey since learning about and 100% accepting the diagnosis and trying many methods (reading books, structured education program, seeing a TMS doctor for over a year). I still haven't eliminated my pain which is sad and frustrating for me since I am now on the premedical path to becoming a TMS doctor. I do my best to be kind to myself about not recovering yet given my experiences.

Currently, I'm going through Dr. Schubiner's book and journaling when I can -- slowly -- since I'm busy with school. Yesterday, I did one of the journaling exercises on a people-pleasing trait and a deep-seated pain that I had repressed as a kid came up. I cried. A lot. It felt like a good relief after and I slept well! I woke up with less tension in my lower back than I have in a couple of months. Yet, upon making breakfast, back tension and back pain came back with a vengeance!

Currently, I'm experiencing very intense back pain when I bend and move and extreme tension. It sucks! But, I feel like this is also a stride forward since they tend to say that if a TMS symptom gets worse when working on repressed emotions it's a good sign.

Any thoughts? Words of wisdom?

Thanks for reading!