1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Menstrual cycle issues TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by readytoheal, Dec 9, 2017.

1. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

I have begun spotting in between cycles and I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this as TMS? It is very distressing. I do have a gynecologist appointment in a couple of weeks but was hoping for some insight in the meantime. I just turned 40 so maybe peri menopausal? But as I’ve stressed (read freaked out) over the issue, it has just grown worse (more frequent spotting) which leads me to believe TMS may be responsible. Pelvic pain (IC) and ocular migraines are my main TMS symptoms.

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweetheart, I'm wondering how your appointment went..?

I'm also perimenopausal and am engaged in much separating of wheat from chaffe. There are so many possibilities for TMS overlays/hybrids that one could go mad attemping to tease them apart :)

Whatever the case I am addressing the whole shebang from a very mindful, very holistic viewpoint.

Sending you love xxx

3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi Readytoheal,

Yes, the very same thing. I suffered from chronic migraine and was desperate to find anything to help. It went on for 6 1/2 years and towards the end I was seeing a dr. who tested my hormones and I was borderline slow thyroid. She wanted to put me on meds but I chose to wait. I'm the same age as you.
    My cycle definitely was a trigger for my migraines and at that time I started spotting. I would get a really heavy flow, or it would come at odd times and be only spotty. It alarmed me to spot because I always had a regular period.
    When I started the TMS approach the conditioning around my cycle and headaches was the strongest to break. It took a long time.
    In the end, I think what helped what calming down my whole nervous system which took a lot of life changes and awareness. Over time, my period became regular again and migraines are down to one a month. What's interesting is if I take anti-anxiety meds when I feel PMS symptoms I can get through it with no migraines. Not paying attention to the calendar helped a lot too. It seems like the more attention you give it the more your brain will use it to get your attention.
    Have you had any tests done for your hormones or anything else? You don't have to answer, but it's always best to rule out any problems. Chances are it's just TMS though.
    Now, when I get my periods I get really bad cramps which hasn't happened since I was a teenager. I just try to chill out and ignore it. That will go away too, in time.

Lotus likes this.
  4. Lotus

Lotus New Member

I know this is an old reply but you remind me so much of myself and why I searched for “perimenopause“. A couple years ago things started to go awry with my period. I had always been so regular but they got heavier and started lasting longer. I eventually realized that I may be in perimenopause. My periods seemed to just keep getting worse and I kept getting more and more obsessed. It felt very “TMS” to me. I started to wonder if things were getting worse, or felt worse, because of TMS. I wonder what perimenopause would’ve been like without TMS. Now I’m totally obsessed and freaking out about the future, including menopause. I have a feeling things are being exacerbated by my TMS.