1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Migraines Almost Gone

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ines, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Ines

Ines Well known member

I have an urge to update you all on how things are coming along with me.
    It's almost been a year since I started the TMS approach. When I started I was having migraines and headaches every day along with anxiety. It completely ruled my life and I was very depressed. My brain controlled me most with my diet and fear ruled my life.

SEP
    After completing the Structured Educational Program a lot changed and I started to take dance class and have a little more fun. My depression went away and I would have week long periods with no headaches, migraines or anxiety. The SEP helped me understand my personality and how events from my past contributed to my pain.

Getting on With Life
    I started to see light at the end of the tunnel. I never doubted it was TMS but I really didn't like working on TMS too much. I don't journal and only meditate here and there. I realized most of the tension in my life is by my own creation and worked on recognizing my Inner Bully so I try to not pressure myself. Following the little voice in my head I stopped doing all the things I thought I should be doing like eating right and exercising. The biggest life change was realizing that migraine diets and anti-inflammation diets are such BS. I've been eating whatever I want and my migraines are going away.

Life is Not Perfect
    I've learned a few good lessons this year and one is that there will always be stress in life that you have to deal with. I do get migraines at these times but always connect it to tension and I know one day they will be gone. I try to learn from every experience and just keep moving. The books on mindfulness, compassion and living in the now has really helped.

Symptom Imperative...
    Is a (insert curse word)! It's really embarrassing but what's been going on is really bad breath due to stomach acid. I had ulcers coming on before I started TMS so I know it's symptom imperative. My brain is really clever. It's trying to control me with diet again. I'm working through it and call BS on it. I have to pay some attention to it because come on.. who wants bad breathe? But, I'm not letting it consume me and I know it will be gone soon. The worst part is that pain meds kill my stomach now.

That's the year in a nutshell. I'm almost there. At this point, I have maybe 2 migraines a month. My life balance has been thrown off lately because my son had some health problems, I had a big problem at work and I might have a career change so I feel like that has slowed my progress down but going through those stresses knowing about the mind-body approach has shown me a different perspective on how to deal with it.

Thanks for all your feedback on past posts and sharing your own stories. I couldn't have done it w/o this forum.

Ines

plum and Ellen like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

So great to hear of your success! Thanks for sharing with us and providing inspiration to others. Everyone can recover from migraines with a mindbody approach. Congratulations!

plum and Ines like this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thanks for all your feedback and support Ellen : ) You've helped me a lot.

plum and Ellen like this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ines, what joy to read this post. I am delighted to hear of your success. It's an inspiration to us all.

(I've enjoyed some full throttle sport with the symptom imperative recently due to major stress. I could probably create a new curse word just for it BUT knowing exactly what it is shuts it down like a bitch-slap. Do your worst TMS, do your bloody worst :punch:)

happyMcWow and Ines like this.
  5. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thanks Plum. : ) Thank you so much for your help. When I come to the forum I always learn so much.

plum likes this.