1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by wildfleur, Apr 18, 2021.

1. wildfleur

wildfleur Newcomer

Hi I’m following the program and this is my Day 1 post/pain journey story.

My migraines started in college. My twenties were a very traumatic and stressful time in my life, I had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a teen and was navigating early adulthood as someone with a very expensive chronic illness and no health insurance and no family support. I was on scholarship but had to take out student loans to pay for medicine. There was no affordable care act at that time and Medicare would not cover me. Excuse my language, it was and still is crooked AF.

Migraines with vomiting and visual displays of light became my normal. I planned my whole life around my pain and barely had any life at all. Soon the pain shot down into my shoulders, elbows, and wrist. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel.

I had trigger point injections, saw a chiropractor, went to physical therapy, wore a special wrist guard to bed, got steroid injections (R.I.P. my glucose levels), told I just “needed to get pregnant” by a backwards male doctor, prescribed antidepressants, got weekly massages, had MRIs, X-rays, and acupuncture. NOTHING WORKED.

I’m now in my 30s and my migraines have reduced from 15 days a month to one every few months but the pain has relocated into my stomach. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars getting tested for SIBO and h pylori (the bacteria suspected to cause stomach ulcers) and all results came back negative. I’m on a waiting list to see a GI for imaging this summer to rule out cancer.

I have the personality type Dr. Sarno describes in his mindbody prescription book. I’m a perfectionist, push myself, and avoid conflict. These personality traits helped me survive a stressful and traumatic childhood but no longer serve me as an adult and are causing me pain.

If I let someone stick needles all over my skin once a week, I’m willing to give the TMS program my all. Wish me luck.

JanAtheCPA and Idearealist like this.
  2. fewjoram

fewjoram Peer Supporter

Hello and good luck. Wishing you the best and please keep us posted with your progress. God speed!

3. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Digestive symptoms are a very common with TMS. The program here helped me almost eliminate my IBS and constipation. The fact that your migraines shifted elsewhere, and that your tests are all negative, are very good evidence that the issue is completely TMS. Good luck!