1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My process to alleviate the pain

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by JulieMTherapy, Apr 22, 2019.

1. JulieMTherapy

JulieMTherapy Peer Supporter

Hi everyone! I'm a TMS therapist and coach. I wrote this blog post on how I work with people to alleviate the pain. I'm happy to answer any questions :)
    https://juliemarkowitztherapy.com/blog/why-am-i-in-pain (Why am I in pain???)

Why am I in pain???

Welcome! I’m glad you’re here fellow pain sufferer.

You are in pain because your body is communicating with you. The first thing to realize is: the pain is NOT dangerous! The pain is just a neutral sensation in your body like a swift breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day.

The mind and the body are intrinsically linked. Your body is telling you something about the way you’re feeling EMOTIONALLY. The pain serves as a distraction from feelings you don’t want to think about.

Some feelings that cause physical pain:

1. Feeling out of control-ex. worrying about things that you have no power to effect. A lot of times people want to control other people but the truth is: all we can control is our own behavior.

2. Feeling like you’re being controlled-ex. feeling as the someone makes decisions for you and you cannot say no. You don’t have a way to disagree.

3. Anger-ex. anger gets a bad rap in our society. Aggression is totally normal. You are allowed to be angry at whatever you want to be it does NOT have to be justified. If you need to scream, scream! It’s ok.

4. Feeling burdened-ex. Do you take care of everyone around you? Do you feel you need to please others? This can make you feel angry and resentful. Care taking can be wonderful but as cliche as it is, in order to take care of others, you need to feel taken care of yourself.

5. Fear of emotional closeness (intimacy)-ex. for those of us who have had attachment trauma, closeness can be scary. Connection might feel dangerous to you. You don’t have to do anything about it, just be aware that this might be true for you.

6. Doubt (like doubt that the pain is psychological)-ex. doubt is a very tough one. It comes out in many forms. You might be distrustful of yourself and your ability to overcome the pain. You might be a little afraid that you have structural problems that will keep you in pain forever. You can find relief—TRUST ME :)

So what now? Try to think if any of these feelings resonate with how you might be feeling. Let them into your conscious awareness.

Next: Resume all physical activity! Yes, I said that. STOP BELIEVING THAT THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU. I promise, you’re actually ok!

Start journaling about when you experience symptoms as well as when you don’t. What were you thinking about at the time, what was going on at the time. See if you can establish a pattern of triggers. I’m happy to help you identify some if you feel alone in this process.

Then make a commitment to yourself that you can heal.

I am here for you. I want to help you become pain free forever!

5 Likes

Goldy, zclesa, alanc and 1 other person like this.
  2. andrewsk

andrewsk Newcomer

Hey Julie,

Im new to the forum but not new to TMS.

My story is probably similar to so many others. Looking back over the past 15 years, I have dealt with Tinnitus, Panic Attacks, Insomnia, and more.

My latest TMS issue is itching. Not in a single spot, but all over. No rash. More like a nerve issue. I think it comes up when I am stressed as I have had it before for a few weeks here and there, but the last bout has been on and off for months. I have been to the Dr and the Dermatologist, had tests and --big surprise-- nothing came back. I was having a really tough time until Sarno led me here and everything makes so much sense.

I had a long remission for about 3 months starting in January, when I started leaning in, and stopped cringing away from symptoms and anything that could cause stress. (Mediation is great, but only when you're not using it to CURE yourself, i find.) As soon as I felt better, I got back to my old self and found myself once again starting to pull away from the symptoms when they would appear (No matter how small).

My full symptoms are back since the last few days, so I must have more to learn. I need to lean back in, but sometimes that is exhausting.

I often think about journaling but wonder if it's just giving the TMS power by focusing on it.

Anyway, thanks for posting. I definitely fit in the "Feeling out of Control" category even outside of the TMS :)

Keith

3. JulieMTherapy

JulieMTherapy Peer Supporter

Hey Keith,

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what the itch you cannot scratch is?

It really sucks to feel out of control. Remember, TMS wants to make you believe that you're out of control but you're not. The itching is information to you about something you're not so aware of. What might it be? Let me know if I can help in any way :)

Warmly,

Julie