1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 25 My Progress…

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by roydr301, Mar 19, 2023.

1. roydr301

roydr301 New Member

Overall I think I am improving but it still feels like I am on a roller coaster ride. I think I have been dealing with many very subtle fears over the years that activates my tensions and pain. The issues is that I have a hard time identifying the causes of the fears. They seem random. The more I try to rationalize that there is no real danger, the more it activates them. Most of the time I am not even sure what thoughts or event caused the symptoms. I just become anxious or tensed.

I wonder if I someone else is living similar symptoms?

On a more positive note, I still feel the program is providing the help I need and that I will become better as I keep learning how to manage the situation.

Cheers.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Rationalizing with your primitive brain, your inner child etc. who is CONVINCED you are in mortal danger for whatever reason can prove fruitless, as you experience. Why? Because rationalizing can really be a form of intellectualizing, and once again negating how you truly feel about this thing you fear. Fear is not always the singular emotion. It can cover up other "less acceptable" emotions.
    You can either excavate this fear, or you can just recognize it, and feel the emotion. Let it wash over you and see if there is something under it. That could take time, and it might not come in an obvious way. Your brain wants you to feel fear, so let it, and just note what goes on in your body with a sense of curiosity, almost wonder. This can help take away some of the physical fear of your symptoms, but it can also help your brain generalize a sense of safety. Over all the message you want to send your brain, especially in the beginning stages of TMS work is a sense of safety. Getting specific might be too much. The subconscious doesn't know time - so whatever you feared in the past, it might think is happening now, so rationalizing may seem like you are hiding (or lying to yourself) a current danger, even if it's only a perceived danger. Often people use things like "I'm OK right now" - and ground that feeling with the knowledge you are breathing, functioning, and simply being alive - this is less "confrontational" to any specific thing or fear. As you move along in your healing, experiment with what is tolerable. Play around with things, theories, activities that help you begin to approach re-framing things.

3. roydr301

roydr301 New Member

Thanks for your support it really helps. This forum makes helps me deal with my doubts and to confirm that what I am experiencing in the process is normal.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. mbo

mbo Well known member

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@mbo, I'm not inclined to click on a random FB link. Can you tell us what this is? (newcomers might even legitimately suspect it's spam if they don't know who you are. An introduction will always generate more clicks).

6. mbo

mbo Well known member

Don't worry about this. It's a y short video/clue from Alan Gordon.