1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My TMS recovery Cheat Sheet

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stock Trader, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

Hello, below is a copy of my TMS Recovery Cheat Sheet I carry with me everywhere.

TMS RECOVERY PROGRAM BY ALAN GORDON

1 Introduction – “Miracle Of Mindbody Medicine” article.
    2 Part I
    2.1 Accepting the Diagnosis – I believe that my symptom is psychologically caused as opposed to structurally or physically caused. “I have TMS!”
    2.2 Reframe the Meaning of the Pain – I am to stop the fear and attention of my pain (brake the pain cycle). Fear perpetuates the symptoms. Pain is only an alarm of my repressed emotions.
    2.3 Working Toward Outcome Independence – My TMS success is no longer measured by whether or not I am having symptoms during an activity. Success is measured by how little I care. It is an off calendar thing. Need to move on and enjoy my life.
    3 Part II
    3.1 Generate Self Compassion – I am to treat myself like my own child.
    3.2 Recognize Destructive Behaviors – Need to notice my Critical, Pressure, and Fear thoughts to myself.
    3.3 Identify Source of Abuse – Where abuse habits to myself come from? Often the way I treat myself is based on messages I got when I was younger.
    3.4 Mindfulness – Noticing, Accepting, and Letting go is one of the best ways to learn to recognize my thought patterns.
    3.5 Address Repression - Part of treating myself nicely is learning not to neglect myself.
    3.5.1 SadnessLinking the sadness to the way that I’ve being treated (by my own destructive side) can really give it meaning. It’s a healthy form of grieving for the suffering I’ve undergone.
    3.5.2 Anger – When I scare and beat myself without awareness, I repress my rage.
    3.6 Identify Source of Repression – Reasons I learned to repress my emotions. See program.
    3.7 Feel Your Feelings – Emotions first manifest as physical sensations. What does this emotion feel like in my body? This is the language of my emotions.
    3.8 Stand Up to the Inner Bully - When I hear this internal bully criticizing, pressuring, or terrifying me, I will let myself feel the justified anger that such mistreatment warrants. “How dare you!” “Get the hell out of here!”
    3.9 Provide Comfort – I am to sooth my inner child from fear. He needs to know that he’s safe. When worrying about a particular outcome or struggling over a decision, I will tell my inner child that “It’s going to be ok either way.”
    3.10 Prioritize Yourself – I am to prioritize my internal sense of comfort over external things and others.
    3.11 Attend to Your Internal State – I am to check in throughout the day, recognizing increases in my anxiety, and calming my internal state (baby) system down.
    3.12 Take a Loving Stance – Need to love to myself regardless of any accomplishments and my physical features.
    4 Conclusion
    The development of my self-compassion, self-love, an internal protector, the ability to self-soothe, and the capacity to attend to my emotions is an ongoing process. I am to be patient with myself in this venture. My symptoms have the potential to scare me, knock me down, and render me hopeless. But Alan states to stay the course though, I can beat this thing. To trust him, he’s been there.

Emily, tarala, bordersgirl56 and 3 others like this.
  2. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Wow, StockTrader, thanks for summarizing! I'll translate it into German...good idea to carry it with me, too!

Forest likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, Stock Trader this is a nice sheet to have
    im going to print it out now so I can hang it on my wall of wisdom
    you really got it together, this is an awesome cheat sheet, thanks

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice ! :cool:

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Stock Trader, This deserves reminding our posters so I will get it back to the top.

6. Emily

Emily Peer Supporter

This is a wonderful tool, Stock Trader. Thanks so much for sharing!

7. leonardo999

leonardo999 Well known member

Brilliant

8. Jesse668

Jesse668 New Member

This is great! Thanks!

9. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all.

10. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this list, especially Feel Your Feelings – Emotions first manifest as physical sensations. What does this emotion feel like in my body? This is the language of my emotions.

11. leonardo999

leonardo999 Well known member

With medium pain levels for months at a time...the reason why I found this forum was trying to search out why I had severe pain increase to all parts between belly button and thighs,,,, when I saw someone get hurt of fall or injured..... pow ! It was just like I was getting the damage..... and that sentence sums it up completely.

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Leonardo999)- When I saw someone get hurt of fall or injured..... pow ! It was just like I was getting the damage..... and that sentence sums it up completely.

Eric)- That's an awesome sentence Leonardo999
    I had the same issue for years, I would watch how
    my son and others would jump and land thinking isn't that hurting them

Then Id think back to my wrestling and football days
    wondering if I had been to rough on myself

Im glad to know all those old injuries
    mostly are just a figment of society opinion
    imagination and conditioning with triggers.

13. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Just this list alone has the full healing criteria- when we look at the simplicity
    it really helps the novice or advance person in knowledge therapy
    I like this list, id give it two thumbs up for the total recovery list.

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sometimes we definitely need to put ourselves first.
    Some people can drain us of our spirit (vampires do it with blood),
    so we just can't let them do it.

A woman used to call my roommate in the wee hours of the morning
    and talk for hours about ending it all. She was in need of sympathy,
    but she didn't think of how much stress she was putting on my friend.

If she had only done that once, I might have thought she really was
    serious about ending it all. But she called him like that about once a week or more.

My roommate didn't seem to mind the calls, but our bedrooms were next to
    each other's and I always heard it all.

We want to be helpful when someone asks for it, but also have to look after
    our own health.

15. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I love your signature Stocktrader. It is easy to notice our thoughts, but more challenging to not judge ourselves about what we think and that is the problem. We have a tendency to judge our thoughts as meaning we are bad people and not good enough. It is always difficult to reach a point where we do not judge ourselves. I am curious how other people have done that. How have you stopped judging yourself for the thoughts and emotions you have?