1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Never, Never Give Up

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by G.R., May 15, 2013.

1. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Hi, Everyone,
    I have not been on the TMS wiki lately because I just got married and was away.
    I missed everyone.

I have found this wonderful video. I hope it inspires you just as much as it has inspired
    me. If Arthur can do it, so can we. I am planning to watch it often to motivate me.

Enjoy Your Life to the Fullest,
    G.R.

MellieV, Sienna, intense50 and 10 others like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Peer Supporter

Such an inspiring video. Thanks

Sienna likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Such an inspirational video.
    I'm a great believer in perseverance.
    It may take time to be rid of pain, but if we follow TMS healing techniques and keep asking God to help us heal, we will heal.

I keep a file on what other people say about not giving up.
    Some of my favorites are these:

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." -- Chinese proverb.

"Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did." -- Newt Gingrich.

"The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running." -- Ecclesiastes 9:11.

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." -- Albert Einstein.

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." -- Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life.

"You learn you can do your best even when it's hard, even when you're tired and maybe hurting a little bit. It feels good to show some courage." -- Joe Namath.

It's like the little engine that could.

Anyone else have thoughts on perseverance or examples to inspire us?

My best friend's little boy, a beautiful 5-year-old, fell out of a bedroom window and landed on the driveway. He became paralyzed and no one thought he would ever walk again. My friend refused to believe that and, never giving up hope and trying, one day several months later stood a few feet away from his son and asked him to get out of the wheelchair and walk to him. Hesitatingly, the invalid stood up and walked into his father's outstretched arms. He regained his ability to walk and grew up to be a normal, healthy young man. Perseverance and love by both of them, did the trick. Prayer also can work such miracles.

Sienna, G.R. and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Guava

Guava Peer Supporter

I found this online a while back. I've probably watched it 5 times! Its an amazing recovery! So inspirational!

Sienna likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the way it works
    its an awesome video G.R.
    thanks for posting
    The road is hard but the waters fine

Sienna likes this.
  6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In another thread, @North Star mentioned this video, which caught my interest, so I decided to look it up. I was curious as to how the video was made. For example, how did they get all of that footage? Who did the editing?

Well, it turns out that Arthur was being filmed for a movie about what inspires people to achieve their weight loss goals. The director put together the footage that they had to make a clip they could share on social media. The director describes how he made the clip and it went viral in this blog post. The original video now has 11 million views.

It looks like Arthur was being mentored by a Diamond Dallas Page (DDP), a former WWF wrestling star who now is a celebrity yoga instructor teaching a "tough"-branded version of Yoga. It was actually DDP's YouTube channel that shared the version of the video that went viral.

It sounds like one day Arthur was desperate and found DDP Yoga on Google. He decided to give it a try and ended up corresponding with DDP. DDP had sent Arthur a follow-up survey after his purchase of the Yoga DVDs and was impressed by Arthur's drive and seriousness. They recount the experience in the following interview. It's nice to see them in their natural element in an unedited clip. It gives you more of a sense of what they are really like:

It looks like, for a while, he went back to being a Special Education teacher and educational administrator. However, based on the above video, it looks like Arthur works for DDP Yoga now. There is a page on the DDP Yoga site about him. He also started doing some independent inspirational speaking, which you can watch in this video. (From the video you can see that he still has ups and downs with his weight--which seems like it is just part of life. Though now that he works for DDP, I bet he'll keep tight control over it...)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    mike2014, North Star and Ellen like this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yea! Arthur and Yea! Yoga--the ultimate mindbody exercise.

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I was interested in how this video was made because I'm proud of how we are a 501(c)3 public charity and of how the TMS movement is an authentic grass-roots movement rather than a fake, "astroturf" movement:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing
    We are a completely independent organization and our grass-roots action really comes from the grass roots. I wanted to know if the "Never, Ever Give Up" video is the same way, so I did a bit more investigation.

I was also interested because, as I mentioned, above, the video was made by an independent film studio attempting to make a documentary. The film studio had turned to KickStarter to raise money for the film. This drew my attention because we are currently working to help another production company that has also turned to KickStarter to make a documentary about Dr. Sarno.

Here's the director's pitch for the KickStarter campaign for "Inspired: The Movie." You can tell how much he cares about the movie and how much it means to him:

Unfortunately, that first Kickstarter campaign was not successful. It had a goal of $75,000 but it only raised $15,592. Because of the way that KickStarter works, no one was charged and they didn't get a single penny of it because they didn't meet their goal.

In comparison, the Dr. Sarno documentary also has a goal of $75,000, but it has already raised 69% of it's goal and is only 39% of the way into the campaign. I'm confident that they will meet their original goal, though I do expect things to slow down unless they can pull in some media attention. The key thing, though, is that they surpass their goal.

Not to be dissuaded, the "Inspired" team made a second attempt. This one ended on July 21, 2012 and featured a goal of $25,000, which they surpassed, raising a total of
    $26,157

You can watch the pitch that Arthur made for the KickStarters, trying to support the film company that documented his progress. He is very open and also passionate about the project and the responsibility the video has given to him:

I've wondered why they were able to raise 168% as much the second time around. Was it because they had learned more about how to run a kickstarter campaign? Was it because their goal was lower and so backers felt like they might actually succeed?

Unfortunately, while their second KickStarter may have succeeded, the movie itself seems to have stalled. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated since December 2012 and some former supporters have written some very angry comments on the wall of the page:
    https://www.facebook.com/inspiredthemovie
    The web page is still up, though:
    http://inspiredthemovie.com/

It's a sad story, but it doesn't detract from Arthur's individual hard work and accomplishments. It does, however, help explain why the editing on the YouTube video is so very good. Sometimes it takes a partnership between people with real experience and others with special skills to make a movie that will reach 12 million views.

Anyway, I thought I'd share what I found... I feel very lucky that we are dealing with an experience production company for the Dr. Sarno documentary, who has six films under their belt and even a Guggenheim award for one of the directors. Nothing beats a track record of success when you are trying to figure out who to partner with.

Finally, as a bit of a bonus, I thought I'd share a little footage that I tracked down that shows Diamond Dallas Page working with Arthur and another person from the film. It was made before Arthur's video went viral and it shows a little more of what the collaboration between Arthur and DDP looked like on a day to day basis. It's not particularly inspiring, but it does help to ground us because it shows what it really looked like behind the scenes. Based on all the help that it was clear Arthur was receiving it also might help us understand why we personally don't always get the same results.

9. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

A very inspiring video! Thanks for sharing.

10. 2BT4U

2BT4U New Member

I'm curious did Arthur have TMS?

11. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Than you so much for sharing G.R.
    I could not avoid to burst into tears.
    This is such an inspiring story!!!

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

These are great videos. Let's hope the Sarno video goes over the top!

Sienna likes this.
  13. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Wow. Thanks for posting. I broke into tears too. I'll especially think of it when I'm in yoga class and I will never give up.

14. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

I just watched this video again...
    And broke into tears again...
    It is so touching... But so powerful& inspiring...
    I have now saved it into my favourites