1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New film about TMS - free from May 27 through June 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by TG957, May 22, 2020.

1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Shannon Harvey is a journalist who successfully recovered from an autoimmune condition using mindbody approach. Autoimmune conditions is a new frontier for TMS healing. She is releasing her new film and it can be streamed at no charge for the first week. Here is the link to the trailer. Having watched her first film, I highly recommend this one:

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Great video...

3. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Thanks for recommending this. Do you know where it's being streamed? Netflix? I'd like to watch it. Meditation, for me (the classic breathing, focusing) is something I've never been able to cultivate though life seems to be slowly inclining me in that direction. I did do Kabat-Zinn's MBSR course some years ago and really appreciated it. This film sounds interesting and inspiring.

4. TG957

I assume it will be available for free from her web site, here: https://www.shannonharvey.com/collections/all-products (All Products)

5. Northwood

Thanks for your follow up. I will watch this.

TG957 likes this.
  6. TG957

7. Northwood

Cool. Thanks for this!

Actually, I checked her site earlier today and noticed just what you sent me. I plan to watch it soon. Looks like an inspiring step on my steep learning curve. Thanks!

TG957 likes this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

MindMood and TG957 like this.
  9. Northwood

With that sort of attention to detail you must be a very good "CPA." :)

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

LOL, @Northwood - CPAs and perfectionism - the perfect match. :p

11. Northwood

So I watched this documentary over the last two nights and enjoyed it. I have some familiarity with mindfulness (and have done Kabat-Zinn's MBSR program) but have struggled to sustain a simple mindfulness meditation program. I've started again (10 minutes a day) because I recognize how effective meditating is at getting me out of my narratives. Pain, limitations, and depression -- no quick fixes, but putting little things together bit by bit (I hope) will open the way to healing. Thanks again for the recommendation!

plum, JanAtheCPA, TG957 and 1 other person like this.
  12. TG957

Struggling with meditation is very common. I credit classes I took from a Buddhist center with my fairly quick grasp of meditation (took me about 3 months to figure out how to do it). I am certain that I am still a beginner in meditation, but that was enough to heal from pain and dystonia. Keep searching for the technique that would work for you - and you will eventually succeed.

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  13. JanAtheCPA

This film was very timely for me - I may be imminently diagnosed with an autoimmune condition myself (probably RA) but I'm determined to be one of the 10% with remission. Even if I succeed at that, I must accept that my nervous system has had too many decades of over-activation (with the pandemic acting as the tipping point) and I will need to remain vigilant the rest of my life. Shannon Harvey's experience is a profound recognition of the physiological results of mindlessness - and confirmation of the fact that it can be reversed with mindfulness.

plum likes this.
  14. TG957

Good for you, Jan! Wishing you another victory and success! Remember, a marker is just a marker, and that there are many other factors, including state of our mind, our faith in ourselves and our courage and perseverance that make a difference in whether the illness takes hold in our bodies. Sending you love,

TG

plum, JanAtheCPA and Northwood like this.
  15. Northwood

Ditto on that. Jan, (I think I mentioned this earlier) I was diagnosed with RA and had the markers. But beyond some passing bilateral stiffness in my fingers the symptoms receded. I am textbook TMS. Sarno writes in Divided Mind (p. 4) that "unconscious emotions may play a role in causation"of RA. I'm not sure why my symptoms receded. Sure not because of my enlightened thinking! Maybe my unconscious had plenty to keep itself preoccupied with migraines and back pain. LOL. Anyway, I put this out there as a note of hope: there is evidence suggesting that in some cases RA could be a TMS symptom.

plum, JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.
  16. JanAtheCPA

This film AND the example of both of you.

Love right back at ya, T (and some for you, too, @Northwood :)).

Northwood and TG957 like this.
  17. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sending you love my dear ❤️