1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Numbness!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jeather, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Jeather

Jeather Peer Supporter

Hi! For those who deal with LBP, sciatica, leg and foot issues, have there been people who had numbness in the foot in association with all of the above? I didn't have foot issues until a particularly bad episode/flare-up in December which I now see as perhaps a bit of an extinction burst because overall I am doing better physically and emotionally now than I have for the last 2 years since that December bomb. This forum has helped me tremendously. So, I am doing better in many ways. Feeling more "myself" in a fundamental way and dealing with somewhat milder symptoms than normal. BUT, the sciatica flare up in December was combined with severe burning sensation in foot and leg. That was new. The burning was intense but short-lived. But my baby toe is still dead to feeling and I have partial numbness that never really goes away in the outside edge of the foot, sole of foot, combined with partial numbness in the calf. The numbness in the calf was actually pretty bad for a while but I kept walking/jogging, and it is only partially numb now. No longer a limp. I feel like I have normal strength back but not normal feeling there. So, there is residual numbness in the calf, foot, sole of foot, and baby toe. I could break that toe off and not know it haha. Honestly, I would take this over pain any day! The numbness is just weird. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar numbness issues that did resolve over time. I can wait for it to go. I do have a herniated L4/L5 that compresses the nerve blah blah blah, but my understanding from Steve Ozanich is that if the herniation were causing issues, it would be more like complete paralysis. I can jog pretty comfortably. I almost feel like that day of "burning" sensation somehow burned out the nerves and left the numbness. Again, I could live with it. But has anyone had something like this numbness that went away? It's been almost 2 months with the numbness. Thanks :)

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

That's a long time. I'd talk to a TMS doctor.

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Two months is just a short second in the TMS timelines. I started experiencing numbness in my hands in December 2015, along with CRPS, which was a very bad "bomb", using your terminology. I recovered to 99% of my abilities within about 2 years, and no longer cared much about numbness. Five years later, I still have some minor residual numbness in my fingers that recedes at a very slow pace. It does not bother me, I view it as a minor annoyance and I know it will eventually go away. I would not be surprised if there is some possible nerve damage from the "bomb". After all, I had EMG that, per my doctors, was evidence of "irreparable" nerve damage. However, we know from the latest discoveries by neuroscientists that nerves regenerate and recover. It is a very slow progress, especially in the old folks like me. I now have one third of my middle finger fully recovered its sensation, two more thirds to go. But I know that eventually it will happen.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Lavender, Jeather and Balsa11 like this.