1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

On Being podcast on EMDR, Yoga, and healing trauma

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi folks,

Below is a link to an On Being podcast on EMDR, Yoga, and healing trauma which is very much from a mindbody perspective. On Being is broadcast on NPR, and I find it heartening whenever I see the mindbody perspective get coverage in the mainstream media (I guess NPR falls into that category...)

http://www.onbeing.org/program/rest...er-kolk-on-yoga-emdr-and-treating-trauma/5801

I enjoyed it so thought I'd pass it along,

Ellen

Durga and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Ellen for the knowledge- its awesome.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a really great podcast. The following line of it really spoke to me

This really shows how the past can effect us in the present day, where we continue to find ourselves reliving the recurring memory. I would add that a traumatic memory is not exclusively an extreme event such as abuse or violence. I think it can also be being criticized on a repeated basis or anything else that makes us feel unworthy. We relive this memories more then we remember them, which is why we tend to automatically repress our emotions.

Thanks for posting this. It is terrific.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Thought I'd bring this thread back up for those of you enjoying the book The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk, MD. He is interviewed in this podcast.

The more I read this book, the more I love it. It is written in such a kind, compassionate, and heartfelt manner, while still being incredibly informative and well-researched.