1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

One symptom after another

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by trynottoworry, May 15, 2022.

1. trynottoworry

trynottoworry New Member

Hello all! I have been visiting this site for years, but finally signed up to post.

I found out I had TMS through back pain by coming across a post of someone who had the same problems and he talked about Dr. Sarno's book and I believed! It worked and I found that TMS was affecting me in many different ways. That was about 10 years ago.

Since then TMS stuff comes and goes and usually I can get through it and the pain, whatever it is, will subside.

However, lately, over the past 9 months or more I have TMS stuff one thing after another. It's hives, teeth problems, stomach problems, headaches, back aches, etc. etc. There always seems to be something and it moves around. Once I get through it, it moves to something else within maybe a day or two in between the next one.

I am frustrated because I do the work. Maybe I do too much work. I journal a lot, I deal with the past, present, future - anger, fears, insecurities. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with a therapist. I've had lots of therapy in the past, so I have been able to "therapize" myself to some degree. I analyze myself to pieces, I mean I feel like I spend so much time trying to figure out why. I work on my relationships, my reactions, my emotions, where they come from, and the things that I believed in childhood that were lies. I guess I'm highly sensitive, and I was abused as a kid. So, lots of things, but I've worked on all of this for the better half of my life. But lately, I just can't get ahead of the TMS. It's just one symptom after another, over and over again. Yes, it's been a rough couple of years with some tough stuff that has happened. But come on. I don't know if I'm obsessing too much about getting rid of TMS so I'm making it worse, or if somehow, some way I just need to let go and quit trying to deal with it. But I'm tired of all the symptoms. (I've seen doctors and dentists, nothing is going on there).

Anyone else struggle with this?

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes! Part of being the type of person that gets tms (most people to some degree!) is being a perfectionist - so we try to deal with it completely/perfectly/thoroughly - sometimes too much!!
    The trick is balance....
    So do some work on yourself - BUT then make sure you do something fun/energising/enjoyable.... go for a walk in nature, treat yourself to an ice-cream, go to the movies - whatever floats your boat.
    We can get obsessive about 'getting better' - when yes - we can get rid of pain and symptoms, but we are still the same over-sensitive person we always were - and why not - we are unique! Be kind to yourself - be gentle, don't just be all about analysing what is wrong - how about celebrating what is right? How far you have come.... how much wiser you are now....
    To some being kind to ourselves is much, much harder than the tms work..... but it IS part of the tms work - so go do it!!

Ellen and trynottoworry like this.
  3. trynottoworry

trynottoworry New Member

Thank you so much! I really needed to hear this!!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  4. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Yeah, I agree with @hecate105 comments. I think it's very important to do the work... but then you have to let it go. You've done the work. You've done your job. No go out there and enjoy life. The journaling is there to help us get deeper insight into the issues that cause us pain and symptoms. But that doesn't mean we have to fix or resolve every issue. We just have to see that they're there and get some of our feelings out on the page. Then, let it go. Don't live in the pain.

Also, I had to be careful not to beat myself up while journaling. I found this helpful: What to Do When Journaling Makes You Feel Worse – Writing Through Life

Nichole Sachs recommends doing a 10-minute self-compassion meditation after journaling. I do this and I try to bathe myself in self-love, compassion and forgiveness.

Ellen and trynottoworry like this.
  5. trynottoworry

trynottoworry New Member

Thank you! This is what I needed. This is especially what hit home: "But that doesn't mean we have to fix or resolve every issue. We just have to see that they're there and get some of our feelings out on the page. Then, let it go. Don't live in the pain."

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  6. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

We obsess on everything, so perhaps looking into how your personality traits effect the present and sneak up on you.. not by journaling but by simply noticing them, no judgements. “Oh, hi obsessions on fixing everything” and letting it go. For myself this has been a key, noticing the repeated patterns I used to unconsciously berate myself over, by noticing them we can slowly shift ourselves instead of reacting with more fixing to a gentle and kind response.. I find myself changing just because if this attitude change, and I’m lighter. It’s easier to let go. I don’t feel the need to repeatedly journal about the same things. Teaching yourself to notice and feel without obsessing also keeps you doing the TMS work even when you don’t have pain symptoms, helps us move from constant thinking and fixing to just being able to enjoy the present.

trynottoworry likes this.
  7. trynottoworry

trynottoworry New Member

Yes! Thank you!