1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain is moving.is it ok to go to gym?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by unlearningpain, Jul 24, 2018.

1. unlearningpain

unlearningpain Peer Supporter

Past few days have been eye openers for me.i realised I was living in a lot of fear and anxiety.

I used a punching bag to take out some emotions and I think it worked(any other better way?).

My pain has reduced by about 40 percent and it is moving around.

But what I constantly think is how 3 years back pain went from 5/10 to 9/10 gradually in a month and crippled me because I was going to gym regularly ,ignoring about my disc-back problem.it was this time that started this whole pain cycle, and I still think that gym played some vital part in crippling me.

Now I'm to scared to enter gym and start my life back.

Should I wait for pain to completely go away or what?

One thing more that bites me is when I realized I haven't cried for once in past 6 yrs after a shocking incident happened in life.i started relating crying as sign of weakness.
    Is this thing repression? How to get myself crying..

2. unlearningpain

3. Lz123

Lz123 Peer Supporter

Hey dude,

I mean, you need to allow yourself to feel whatever you feel. If you feel like crying, go for it and don't feel bad about it. You need to allow yourself to feel whatever you feel, whether it's a good or "bad" (anger, rage) or "weak" (sadness) emotion. If you supress your emotions, you are in a lot of trouble even though It may not be causing your pain. Emotions are never wrong. It's never wrong to feel something. Anyone who tells you crying is weak probably has a bunch of issues they're repressing.

Try the gym, but you know, take it easy. Just do some light exercise and slowly try to get back into it. How is the pain moving around?

4. unlearningpain

It has moved away from my legs.
    And is coming in form of insomnia.

I'm unable to manage sleepnessness.
    I'm thinking of going for tryptomer 5mg.is it ok?

i have not yet started any physical exercise.will it make any difference? if i am already not able to sleep.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Unlearning pain,

When you began to have back pain and you continued going to the gym, the problem wasn't that you ignored the pain and kept going. The problem was that your body was telling you about your emotional state and you ignored it. You didn't know about TMS and therefore didn't know that you were needing to pay attention to what was going on with your life and stresses. And don't feel bad, only a handful of people have heard of TMS. Now you know, so when you have symptoms check in with your feelings.

Have you read Claire Weekes? Her books are specifically about nervous illness and panic, but her advice is perfect for how to cope with insomnia. She writes a little about insomnia, and her treatment is the same for it.

Also, Ellen, here on the forum, has overcome insomnia and her success story is a good source for help.

You're question about the gym is individual I think. If you can go ahead and enjoy it and tell your brain it isn't going to stop you living a good life and not care if you have more pain, then go. However, if going is another miserable pressure on yourself and the pain makes you afraid then I think it will just feed the TMS. Only you can figure out if you can go to the gym.
    Good luck,
    Lizzy

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    unlearningpain likes this.
  6. unlearningpain

Yesterday I went back to gym.worked hard and there was no pain.great.

But last night I couldn't sleep.i feel there wasn't much anxiety yesterday.i was following Claire Weekes audio.fearless

Despite all this.i couldn't sleep.
    What should I do ?

I read Ellen's story.its great.but you know how it feels when you don't get any night rest after working hard in office and gym for more two consecutive days.
    And with lack of any love in life :(

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  7. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Sadly it does not work overnight. I'm glad you were able to get to the gym though. Let time pass, it will either way, and if you can softly hold on, you will be retraining your response to what is going on with your stress hormones. You are doing good and you can do this, but you can't grip it tightly. It sounds mumbo-jumbo, but it isn't.
    Lizzy

8. unlearningpain

This tms cycle of pain and insomnia is sick.it has taken away 2.5 years of my life.
    Reduced the quality of my life.hairloss.health loss.sleep loss and what not.
    I hope it will be all worth after I recover.
    I hope all those self help,philosophy category books will be fruitful in my life.

Hope so.
    Being positive

Lizzy likes this.
  9. unlearningpain

Update:
    4 consecutive days at gym.
    Lifted weights and did intense workout, even trained my legs(they were shivering at first) but it all went cool.
    Sleep is back.
    Still following Claire Weekes for anxiety.

It's seems like soon I'll be writing success story.

Touchwood :)

Cap'n Spanky, Kellso and Lizzy like this.
  10. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Unlearningpain,

That's great! Reading your post made me remember Claire Weekes saying, "they're perfectly good legs!"
    Woohoo!
    Lizzy

unlearningpain and Free of Fear like this.
  11. unlearningpain

And I couldn't sleep last night.
    Now that sucks.
    I want some daily rest in night man.

Why this happens usually after 3-4 days?

12. Petter

Petter Newcomer

You need to have a special regime, such as going to the gym three times a week, and then your body will get used to it and you will not feel pain.

13. Maria_anna

Maria_anna Newcomer

I think it's normal to feel pain after a workout, but in any case, you need to be careful. I have been doing sports for 3 years, and if my muscles hurt, I rest and do a massage. You know, I combine training in the gym and at home, and the main thing is to perform the exercise correctly. Here thefitnesstribe.com you can read tips on how to perform exercises correctly, what mistakes you can make, as well as tips on nutrition and personal development. If you make mistakes, there will be no result, and your muscles will ache after each workout.

14. alohamuscle.com

alohamuscle.com Newcomer

Workout will generate dopamine, which will lessen the pain and arise some joyness, so pls keep workout with equipments with resonable weight.

Heavenly likes this.