1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pain returned tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by patty9, Feb 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. patty9

patty9 New Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for when TMS pain comes back? I was more or less pain free, but over the past week my wrist pain has been coming back.

I've got deadlines coming up that rely on my ability to type so this is causing a bit more stress.

I initially tried to just push through it but that has not been working.

2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Take more breaks, move more, and don't worry about it.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Here's the section on relapse I wrote for my Success Story:

Dealing with Relapse

* Accept that it is likely that even after you have eliminated your TMS symptoms you will experience either a relapse of the old symptoms, or a new form of TMS.

* Remind yourself that overcoming TMS is about recovery, not cure. It is very easy for our brains to fall back into those old neural pathways.

* When a relapse occurs, stay calm and get back to the basics. Ask yourself why you need a distraction right now.

* Don't become obsessed with finding the exact reason for your relapse. Go back to reading, journaling, or restart a structured program, if needed, but limit your work on TMS as in the beginning.

* Don't catastrophize. Having a relapse doesn't mean your recovery has failed, and you will now have these TMS symptoms forever. Remind yourself that you overcame TMS before and you can again.

TG957, miffybunny and Balsa11 like this.