1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Perfectionism vs Making Too Many Mistakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by blackbirds, Aug 13, 2020.

1. blackbirds

blackbirds New Member

Hi all,

I have dealt with perfectionism for a long time. It wasn't until I found out about TMS that I have been more aware of it and have started easing up on myself.

I currently work at a cafe as a barista. We are crazy busy and here lately I have messed up some orders. Sometimes it's the customer telling me the wrong thing, but sometimes it's me making mistakes. I am trying to go easy on myself but also wonder if I mess up more than the average person. I am the only person they have working the counter. Last year we had two people on the really busy days, but this year it's just me. There are days I have 10 people waiting to place orders, plus I am making espresso drinks, customers who are already seated come in and want refills on coffee, I have to run all new orders to the kitchen because we don't have a printer in the back that prints the tickets, I clean tables when customers leave.

So today I am wondering if I am making excuses and I have been making too many mistakes lately or if there is just way too much going on for one person. So how to you know if it's perfectionism or you are just not doing a good job?

Thank you!!

2. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

I’d personally recommend reframing how you approach something like this.

Your allegiance should be toward your inner state. Ensure that you are not causing yourself anxiety by taking responsibility for things outside your control, which most of this is.

So what if your job performance is below average? If it’s your best, then that’s that. You are in fact less capable than average. If you can do more AND it makes sense to do so, the. There is your solution. There doesn’t have to be pride and emotions factored into something like that.

Baseball65 likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

This is great that you are concerned about this... really. Most people never get a peek around their ego to even speculate on this and it is one of the huge causes of TMS. Our ego is there to protect us and when we make mistakes it either minimizes them or denies them. Perfectionism breeds internal rage which makes symptoms. Acknowledging reality tends to defuse the cycle.

I once told my Boss "I know I am wrong half of the time, but I never know which half?"

Just the fact that you are aware of this will probably lead to you making fewer mistakes. I have learned I am just as likely to make a mistake as anybody and at work, I am 'foreman' because i have experience..... experience = I have made more mistakes then the other guys , so I have had to correct more stuff (LOL). I think Thomas Edison said "I haven't failed, I just know 10,000 things that don't work"

If you approach your work and life this way you will have a better experience and less TMS. Whether or not you are able to do a certain task, in the long run will be less important than your humility. I personally would last about 15 minutes doing your job... I am horrible at multitasking. So I found a job where they need someone who is obsessionally concerned with single tasks.

there is a spot for all of us and we all need each other.

peace

backhand likes this.
  4. blackbirds

blackbirds New Member

Thank you both. This is very helpful and I appreciate the comments.