1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan G. peripheral neuropathy

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hello. My name is Don and I read Dr. Sarno's book "Healing Back Pain" 7 years ago. 3 days after reading it, the last of my back pain was gone after 10 years of physical therapy, a 3 - level disecotomy, and countless medicines. Now I have a new problem. I have been very anxious and depressed for the last year. 6 weeks ago, I woke up and both my feet are numb. No pain. Just numb feet. I had an MRI. No pinched nerve. Diagnosis: Peripheral Neuropathy. I do not have Diabetes. It has not gotten much worse or better. Could this be TMS? Would it make my feet numb fro such a long time? Searching for answers... Thanks, Don

2. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Don,
    It absolutely can be TMS. The thing about TMS is it can mimic any physical sensation in any part of the body: pain, fatigue, itching, numbness, etc. That being said, it's important to ensure that the symptom hasn't originated due to some pathological process in the body.

Although there's a good chance that what you're dealing with is TMS, a catch-all diagnosis like that isn't sufficient to make this determination. I'd recommend consulting with a TMS physician and running the diagnostic tests by him/her. That's the best way to thoroughly determine whether you're dealing with TMS or something else.

If there's no TMS physician in your area, find one, take a road trip or a short flight and see this thing through. Nothing is more worth your time and money than figuring this thing out, and consulting with a TMS physician is the best way to thoroughly do that.

Alan

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.