1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Plantar Fasciitis nipped in the bud

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by AnitaV, Mar 21, 2022.

1. AnitaV

AnitaV Well known member

Hi everyone, I wanted to share a recent story of mine illustrating the truth and power of Dr. Sarno’s discoveries.

You can read my own backstory and TMS recovery plan here if you are interested: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/my-tms-recovery-plan.12499/ (My TMS Recovery Plan) . My primary symptom was plantar fasciitis.

Some background to this story: my husband is an avid skier, and when my family moved to Colorado 8 years ago, we spent a great deal of time and money teaching my daughter (then 4) how to ski. After several years she declared that she hated skiing and never wanted to ski again. My husband has been very disappointed ever since that he could not enjoy skiing with her.

Fast forward to now: my daughter, now 12, was invited to go skiing with her best friend and much to our shock, she accepted. She spent the day on the bunny hill with her friend and had a great time. The following weekend, she went with her friend again and my husband joined them. He took her up the mountain and spent the day trying to teach her to ski.

I asked her how her day was when she got home, and she said it was good. That evening, she suddenly developed a sharp snapping pain at the bottom of one foot. She couldn’t step on the foot and was limping around the house. My own plantar fasciitis started exactly this way. My husband thought it was from her ski boot, but thanks to my experiences with pain, I knew better.

I sat down with her alone and asked her how she really felt about skiing. At first she kept saying she liked it, but then she started crying and told me that she found it very scary and she hated it, but she was so afraid to disappoint her dad, who was so excited to ski with her. She just enjoyed spending time with her friend on the mountain, but she hated actually skiing. She was afraid to tell her dad, but I assured her that he just cared about spending time with her and would not be hurt.

We called over my husband and discussed it, and he assured her that he wasn’t upset with her and they would make time to do other fun things in the mountains, like sledding and snowshoeing, and they could bring her friend along. She was visibly relieved. We got up to leave the room but she was afraid to step on her foot. I promised her that her foot would not hurt again when she stepped on it, and of course I was right, she never had that foot pain again.

I am so blessed to have gone through my terrible pain and to have learned the precious truths about our bodies and emotions through my recovery. I am blessed to pass this knowledge on to my children and spare them the pain I suffered through.