1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pudendal neuralgia or TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Havehope, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Hi all,

I’m new to this site and wanted a bit of advice if possible. I’ve recently been experiencing a lot of pelvic pain. From what I can tell my symptoms match that of pudendal neuralgia. I had this once before in 2011 which lasted for about a year. I went to the doctors and they said it might be vulvodynia but in all honestly I could tell they didn’t really have any answers for me and I kind of just gave up and suffered with the pain. It eventually went away after about a year. Since then I’ve had lots of things wrong with me. Pins and needles in my arms and legs, dizziness, gastrointestinal issues, knee pain amongst others. All of these things have eventually gone away in the end but unfortunately I am now suffering with the same pelvic pain symptoms I experienced back in 2011/2012.

I’ve always suffered with anxiety and have a lot of stress in my life due to my mum falling ill in 2010. She has a very serious long term health issue that causes me a great deal of stress. I’m almost certain that this is what causes my health problems but am really not sure if my latest symptoms are TMS or not. I haven’t been to the doctors partly because I feel so embarrassed that I’m always there! I feel as though I replace one health problem with the next. As soon as I get rid of something, new symptoms show up!

I guess I just want a bit of advice as to whether this could be TMS or not. As I said, I always have background stress due to my mums illness but my recent symptoms returned after getting some more bad news (related to my mum) which is what I think may have triggered it.

Any advice much appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Havehope likes this.
  3. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I will search the site as you suggested. I’m having trouble fully believing that it is TMS but I realise that that’s what I need to do so will really try to work towards this. Looking forward to reading some success stories too.

Thank you again for the positive response, it really helps!

4. tmstraveler

tmstraveler Peer Supporter

Hey havehope, I’m in a similar boat and truly believe it’s TMS. Getting to that place takes time, so it’s okay that you need to work on it but educate yourself. Read the success stories. And when you’re ready, begin the work! Alan Gordon’s program on here is a great place to start. Also consider contacting the Pain Psychology Center.

@pilatesgirl has an inspirational story and there are SO many others. You will get there!

Havehope likes this.
  5. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

It's definitely TMS. Pudendal neuralgia and vulvodynia are wastebasket diagnoses. I could be the poster child for nerve pain and I've had IC as well similar nerve pain in those areas. It's all TMS.

6. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Thank you for this. I definitely think I need to do more research. The pain isn’t so bad at the moment but my symptoms change...now I have numbness and pins and needles...can’t wait for this to go away!

7. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Thank you! I have a lot of anxiety and stress in my life and really need to address those issues I think. Are you completely pain free now? My pain went away for years so it was devastating when it came back recently. It stressed me out so much which of course only exacerbates the symptoms.

The thing I’m not sure about is why it went away on its own the first time around. I had it for about a year and it just disappeared even though I’ve always had stress/anxiety. I guess it just manifested in some other way. I’m pretty sure something else was wrong with me soon after it went away!

8. ac2448

ac2448 New Member

It definitely sounds like TMS. I had "pudendal neuralgia" which got so bad that I was in intense pain while sitting and had to use a special cushion at work. Fast forward about 6 months to now and I faintly remember the pain most days.

I wouldn't say I am cured of TMS, as I am still working through the many other symptoms that seem to pop up. But from my own experiences, pelvic pain is very emotion-driven and definitely curable!

9. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Thank you for the encouraging reply! It really does help

miffybunny and tmstraveler like this.
  10. Jane.Fearless

Jane.Fearless New Member

The mind is very strong and I think some women are prone to develop problems in the private area.

To me it sounds a lot like TMS. Diseases like PN, Pgad, IC and so on have in most cases no cause that can be found - for me these are all TMS diseases, in 99% of the cases for me !

I can tell you a song about how many symptoms I have had in my private area for several weeks and I know deep down that they are not caused by a physical cause. The mind is so incredibly strong, but it is your mind and you can calm it down and with it your symptoms.

The first step is to be here - that's the first right step!

11. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I always thought women mostly had these types of problems too, but I've been so surprised to speak to men who have similar issues! One told me that there is a great deal of embarrassment and it's hard to seek help. I think there may be more cases than we know of but the embarrassment factor is much higher for men.

I personally experience bladder issues (IC) many years ago, and other things of that nature but they were short lived because I knew it was TMS at that point.

Jane.Fearless and Havehope like this.
  12. Jane.Fearless

Jane.Fearless New Member

Miffybunny I didn't look at it that way! that makes perfect sense! thank you for your experience, it may well be that men often suffer from it but talk less about it! our society is more open when you look at hashtags on Instagram about pelvic pain / Vulvodynia etc.

miffybunny likes this.