1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Receding gums (gums issues in general)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by DannyNYC, Feb 10, 2019.

1. DannyNYC

DannyNYC Newcomer

Hey everyone,

Former Dr. Sarno patient here. I've experienced symptoms that I know, 100% certainty, are psychosomatic over the years (chronic pain, panic disorder, intense and chronic GI stuff, bunch of skin symptoms). I have been experiencing receding gums and wonder if other people have experience with this issue.

I have receding gums that are pretty recessive on all my teeth at this point. I can't imagine this won't be very serious if it continues. I've been flossing since my teenage years, brush every day, and eat extremely healthy (little to no added sugar foods). There is something about the fact that my gums are receding that simply doesn't make sense to me given how I care for my teeth. Now the conventional wisdom says, "you're brushing too hard" and all that other stuff. But to me, it's starting to sound a lot like convention wisdom that tells people, "your chronic back pain is from bending the wrong way, etc"....know what I mean? I've experimented with all kinds of brushing techniques and none make a difference.

So I've been doing some research and have come across interesting information regarding the role that the immune system plays in gum issues. Basically, it's actually (or maybe just partly) the immune system having an overactive response (much like allergies), causing the gum tissue to . Here's a link to an interview and a quote (https://healinghistamine.com/what-teeth-say-about-your-gut-health/).

"Dr. Lin:

Exactly. In gingivitis, what they show, even in the first stages of bleeding gums, is that we have an increase in histamine. What they show is that histamine and mast cells participate in the gingivitis-to-gum-disease process the whole time, but they don’t know exactly what cause or whether they’re actually causing the progression to gum disease. Some gingivitis, for instance, won’t progress to gum disease. Now, they don’t know exactly where the mast cells are directly contributing to this, but what they do know is that in both situations, mast cells are present and active.

What some of the good research is showing is that gum disease is actually a loss of organization of the immune system in the mouth. When you have an organized immune system, our immune reaction is normal. It’s tolerant. It gets rid of pathogens efficiently. Once we have an imbalance, his is where mast cells come in, because mast cells are just releasing histamine quite blindly. That’s where things go wrong. When we have an intolerant, chaotic immune system, that’s where we get gum disease. That’s where we have this progression from bleeding gums, which is the first sign, onto gum disease."

Now, of course, there is not talk about psychomatic factors here. But, given what Dr Sarno has written about allergies, I wonder if this overactive immune system response in my mouth is much the same as an allergy, something that many of you have written you've recovered from.

Anyway, wondering what people's experience and thoughts might be in regards to this issue.

Thanks,
    Danny

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Danny, and welcome. I recall being told that my recession was caused by clenching - which was documented by the little cracks I got on my back teeth. I wore a nightguard for years to protect my teeth, but the recession didn't resolve until "after Sarno", when I trained myself to stop clenching. I haven't had to wear the night guard since then... let's see, six years.

That's a different answer to your question, but it still goes back to the mindbody connection. I firmly believe that our immune systems are supported by healthy mindfulness.

Kittyruns likes this.
  3. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

Hi Danny, I have whole body nerve inflammation which is also an overactive response of the nervous system and also have gum disease which I am struggling to get on top of, in fact it has progressed to periodontal disease, so yes I think there could be a link between mind, immune system and gums.

4. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

Hi Danny,
    I am wondering if you have bleeding gums or receding gums or both. I was told correctly that I was not only brushing too hard but that I was using a toothpaste that was very abrasive to the enamel on my teeth. You know there is an old saying that says that as someone is getting older, they are getting "long in the tooth." I do think it's kind of having to do with the aging process but also that gums are somewhat fragile and need to be treated with tenderness and care. Once the gums have receded, they do not grow back. Also, this leaves the root (with more fragile enamel) exposed. I would get a very soft toothbrush and also try baking soda for brushing. It is very non abrasive and also Ph balanced so even swishing some around in your mouth is a good idea. If your gums are red and puffy and bleeding, that is Periodontal disease which is far more serious than Gingivitis. Once the plaque is removed under the gum line, the inflammation should resolve and things should calm down.

5. Indiana

Indiana New Member

I have not been on this forum for a long time but i just stumbled over your reply.
    You write that you trained yourself to stop clenching. I cannot imagine that that that was easy but how did you go about it?
    I have been clenching for years. The night Guard did also nothing for me. My neck is stiff. So are my facial Muscles. I am unable to relax and trying to is no good. I am a big worrier and all tension seems to go to my upper body and jaw. I am in a vicious circle and dont know how to get out of it.
    Do you have any advice what helped you? Thank you so much.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Indiana, and welcome back.

I have been a fan of self-training, self-healing, and visualization techniques for decades, long before I discovered Dr. Sarno. TMS theory only reinforced and enhanced what I already believed I could accomplish in terms of self-healing.

The thing is, it has been decades, and I couldn't tell you specifically how or where I developed this ability. It's based on the theories of self-talk, affirmations, visualization, and probably a form of self-hypnosis.

At the core is the absolutely essential belief that my brain is in charge of all physical and physiological processes in my body, and I can be in charge of my brain.

I remember that I was in my late 20s or early 30s (35-40 years ago) when I was proselytized by some followers of EST (or est, officially) (Werner Erhard's program from the early 70s). The big selling point of these folks was that by taking the training, I would be able to wake up every morning at the desired time without an alarm clock. As if Werner Erhard had invented that ability! I already knew that I could do that, although I rarely went to the trouble of clearing my mind and meditating on my wake-up time every night. So this is something I really did learn a LONG time ago.

Anyway, that's what the non-clenching entailed. I knew that it was going to be the same as convincing my brain to wake up before the alarm went off. Basically, I did a meditation every night before falling asleep, relaxing my jaw, visualizing my jaw remaining unclenched all night long, and then visualizing it being relaxed when I woke up. I probably did this for a couple of weeks at the most. I became more mindful of any jaw clenching I was doing during the day. I was highly motivated to remove my teeth from the equation, so eventually I realized that even if my jaw was clenched (and even now I find myself clenching) my teeth were fully apart and disengaged.

Basically, it's a meditative visualization of the outcome you want to achieve. Just one of many tools in the TMS toolkit.

7. Indiana

Indiana New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. It was very useful.
    Even when I am fairly relaxed when I go to bed (i am never really relaxed) i wake op in the morning completely tensed op and I wonder what happened during the Night.
    Must be clenching.
    I will try visualizing and affirmations and I know it will take time.
    Thanks again
    NB
    Apparently I can tell my brain to wake me op at a certain time when i have to travel and get up early. If only I could tell my brain ”I am not clenching tonight” but I suppose it is not that easy. I would have to be relaxed too.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

Funilly enough I have this 'skill' without ever training it. I wake up always minute before my alarm so I can turn it off, so it will not caught it when I'm sleeping or annoy other people living in house. No matter what hour I turn my alarm on I can wake up one to 2 minutes before it goes off :D The only exceptions is when I'm really tired.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. Philippe1982

Philippe1982 New Member

when in stress, TMS, the body produces more histamines. I think we don’t have to look further.