1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Release of negative emotions, especially anger - need advice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by TG957, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

When stressful situations occur, what is the right way to release emotions?

I had a conflict situation at work yesterday, caused by a chronic issue with an incompetent coworker whose incompetence continuously hurts my ability to do my work and impacts in the same way several dozens of other people. We tried to do something about it, over many years, but the guy is somehow well protected by the upper management. I can't change the overall situation in principle, but in every specific incidence I may win somewhat, at a high cost of stress and many meetings.

Yesterday, I acted professionally and spoke calmly, while inside I was quite upset. Today, my symptoms are going through the roof. As I was living through the events of the day yesterday, I tried to physically "dispose" my anger, frustration and helplessness of being forced to deal with an incompetent jerk. I concentrated on the physical manifestations of the anger, such as heat in my body, jittery feelings in my chest and so on, hoping that by acknowledging my anger I would release it. Today I journaled about it. Not much success. Still feel very tense and painful.

Did I handle it in a wrong way? What is the right way?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. TimmyH

TimmyH Peer Supporter

Handling it calmly at the time is the right way to go about it for your professional life. Personally what I find helpful when either my current stresses or past stresses are causing me trouble is to make a Web cam video at home after my day about it. Video yourself as if your were speaking to the person that is causing you stress and say to the camera all the things you wanted to say at the time. Let out your sadness, frustration, anger and stress. Then offer forgiveness to them to the camera. It feels strange while doing it but after your done, watch the video back. When you watch it back I find it is quite powerful seeing the emotion on my face. It really is a big release. Much more powerful than writing it down. It really works for people that maybe are from your past as well.

Give it a go.

Take care.

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow! What a great advice! Thank you! Will definitely do!

4. alexisblairezielke

alexisblairezielke New Member

I think you did a great job. It sounds like you were able to feel your feelings without letting the part of you who is angry take over. What a fantastic
    idea to do a video log.

I would say any way that you can release your feelings -to allow yourself to fully feel them and then see if they to pass through you.

I would also ask yourself what is it that you desire in your heart. Is there someone you could talk to to help you with the situation? etc.

Alexis B.Z.

TG957 likes this.