1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

ribcage/midback/upperabdominal

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by winterhaven123, Jul 24, 2014.

1. winterhaven123

winterhaven123 Peer Supporter

I have been in severe pain for 4 years. Starting like fireworks & Sling shots going through My upper abdominal Severe & constant. Went to ER had Ct Scans then Dr had UpperGI MRI Bone scans. Nero Chiro Accurputure,Epidurals Several Too many to count. Stayed at a teaching hospital in Tampa & was told it's Psyosomatic It's been 4 years & the pain is Still non stop constant as soon as I stand on my feet When lying down the pain stops. Standing The pain bring Me to the floor. Severe Severe Burning through out My entire body. I was told I have SomatoForm Disorder. Anyone with Any Positive input please Reply thanks Judy

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It sure sounds like your pain is TMS. I suggest you keep trying to discover repressed emotions that
    may well go back to childhood. That's how I healed and many others also have.
    If you haven't yet, maybe start the Structured Education Program you will find among the forums here.

3. winterhaven123

Today Is Day number 1 for Me. I also do believe it is a severe form of TMS . My Emotions have been repressed for years. thank you for your reply.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Judy,

So sorry to hear that you are in severe, chronic pain. I think that when that is the case it is important to focus on calming your nervous system. Chronic pain is perceived by the brain as a threat, which generates stress hormones, which creates more tension and pain. So trying to break that cycle is of primary importance. The technique that worked well for me is what is called diaphragmatic breathing (belly breathing), and there is research to support its effectiveness. If you google it, you will find the technique explained.

The other technique that helped me a lot when I was in a great deal of pain is to work on developing a different perception of, or relationship, with your pain. This involves a form of mindfulness meditation where instead of resisting the pain and judging it as harmful, you enter it, notice it, be with it, allow it--without judgement. It takes practice. Here is a link to a free guided meditation that uses this technique. It is the one titled, Soften, Soothe, and Allow:

http://www.mindfulselfcompassion.org/meditations_downloads.php

I was able to get rid of pain after doing this meditation for 20 minutes (sometimes 40 min) and it was like a miracle. As Eckhart Tolle says "what we resist persists", so finding a place where one can accept and allow pain can help dissipate it--though I know it seems paradoxical.

Wishing you the best

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

That meditation link is great, Ellen. I put it on my desktop to read regularly.

I do deep breathing often each day and night, especially when in bed to help fall asleep. It works!

6. winterhaven123

Thank you for your concern Calming My nervous system is indeed nessar

7. winterhaven123

Hi Ellen Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your concern. I Think you are right about calming the Nervous system Mine is Severely out of tune. the slightest drop of a pen or a dog walking Across the floor goes right through Me Sound, touch everything it's hard for people that don't have Chronic pain to understand. I am on day 2 & was so glad to hear from Dr Clarke saying it's Most likely Stress. I need to read some books. I have read Dr Sarno's Divide Mind & also listened to his Audio healing back Pain I truly Do believe I have a severe TMS 4 years constant. How long have you had yours & how long did it take to feel better? I appreciate the down loads on mindfulness I will listen Thank you Judy

8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Judy,

I had fibromyalgia for 20 years and frequent migraines for over 50 years. It took about a year from the time I first read about TMS to get rid of all of the pain. I am off of the pain medication (for a year now) and the beta blockers (about 4 months now) I took to prevent migraines. I still have a few TMS symptoms that I am addressing, so I'm not ready to say that I am fully recovered, but I am very close after 16 months. I can say that I am pain free. Fibromyalgia is considered to be severe TMS, too. It is possible to be pain free and free of all TMS. If I can do it, anyone can. So can you. Just take it one day at a time.

Take care,

North Star likes this.
  9. winterhaven123

Thank You That is just what I needed to hear..........

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

North Star, you are a huge inspiration to everyone, me included.
    My Donald Duck personality needs constant modifying.
    Another unwanted phone call this morning set me off.
    I got angry, then calmed down and laughed about it.

But then I did myself a big favor and disconnected the telephone.
    It's like punching the mute button on the tv remote.
    Instant quiet.

Hooray for quiet!