1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Search never works for me

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Freedom, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

Every time I have tried to do a search over the past few months I get the error: Unauthorized access to internal API.

I am using Chrome browser if that matters.

2. AnonymousNick

AnonymousNick Peer Supporter

I have Chrome as well. When you search from the forum it seems to go to that error. There's a tab just above it titled "results from our forum only" -- click on that and you'll hopefully get where you meant to go...

JanAtheCPA and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, Nick found the trick. It's annoying, every time I suggest doing a search, I have to add that bit of info...

4. cdub

cdub Peer Supporter

Can Forest it? Who's the forum admin?

5. JanAtheCPA

The forum software is a program that Forest continues to pay for (since the forum produces no revenue to pay for itself). And honestly, he is so busy with his career (not TMS-related) and with different TMS-related activities, that he simply does not have time to spend tweaking our software. For the most part, it works great, and it's really stable, which is a blessing.

The rest of of us who volunteer as admins don't have access to the deep XenForo settings - our "powers" are pretty much limited to managing posts and users.

I'm a self-taught techno-geek, starting in about 1988, and I learned a huge amount back in the day by simply clicking on stuff to see what happens. That's how I figured out the little trick to using our Search function - I saw the tab "results from our forum only" and thought - "What the heck? That might have something!"

~Jan

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

I've been working on this a bit recently and have made a bit of progress. The problem was that Google updated their Custom Search Engine code from v1 to v2. Along the way, they blocked access by the old v1 code which we were using.

The Google-powered search software that we use has two components. I've done a preliminary job of putting the search results in, so you should be able to see it now. I may be able to get the search box code in as well, but it depends on how it plays with the rest of the forum code.

Anyway, just wanted to say that some progress has been made but that more is hopefully forthcoming.

cdub and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

That's a huge improvement, Forest - it doesn't look like an error anymore, and you can still choose the second tab to limit results just to the forum. Thanks!

8. h2oskier25

h2oskier25 New Member

Everytime I use the search, it logs me out, and says I have to log in to post on that thread, and then won't let me log it.

9. JanAtheCPA

Can you please provide your technical details? Device and browser?

I've been having a lot of trouble logging in with Firefox on my Android phone, but closing and restarting Firefox usually helps. I don't have any problems on my PC, using Firefox and Chrome.