1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain for online research study

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stress & Health Lab, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Stress & Health Lab

Stress & Health Lab New Member

Researchers at Wayne State University are seeking adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain to participate in a study. This study focuses on the role of stress in your life and its contributions, if any, to health and pain.

If you take part in the study, you will be asked to participate in two online surveys that will measure your health and functioning. You will also be asked to participate in a 90-minute virtual interview over Zoom.

Participation does not require you to change your current medical treatment or medications, and you will be paid for participating in the evaluations and interview.

To learn more about the study and see if you qualify, please contact Shoshana at healthlab@wayne.edu

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

What would this solve

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This thread was reported as possible spam. I don't know if it is or not, as there's certainly no substantial information by which anyone could judge, no proper references, and no permission asked (or granted) to post this. On the other hand, it doesn't look or feel like your typical spam post (and I just removed two of those). So who knows? I only know that I ain't clicking on a random email link.

Besides, our members already know the answer to the study topic, don't we? :D

BloodMoon likes this.
  4. Stress & Health Lab

Hi there! This is Shoshana from the WSU Stress and Health Lab. I created the post in question--I can assure you it is not spam! I am new to this Wiki, and not all that sophisticated in my posts it seems :) In any case, I'm writing to reassure you and anyone else reading the post that I am indeed a researcher at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI.

All the best,
    Shoshana

miffybunny and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Hi all,
    This is definitely legit. Shoshana works with Mark Lumley, one of the co-authors of the Boulder back pain study, (where we used a tms treatment with chronic back pain patients).

The study leaders are definitely aware of the tms component to pain, and coming from a perspective of addressing underlying stress.

miffybunny likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

Thank you for letting us know Alan! I had just enough doubt that I didn't want to remove it when it was reported - I'm glad I didn't!

~Jan

7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Shoshana, does your study include knee pain?

8. Stress & Health Lab

Hi there! Thanks for your question. At this point, I can say that having knee pain would not exclude you from the study but that I'd need more information about your pain to determine if you qualify. I'd be happy to send you a link to our brief eligibility survey to see if you qualify for the study. Please let me know if you're interested--you can reply here or shoot me an email at healthlab@wayne.edu.

TG957 likes this.
  9. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Makes sense! I looked up the email and credentials when this post was first released and they were definitely real, as verified by WSU’s own portal. As the post directed us to use the valid email address and not respond via a DM on a separate platform (such as this one), I decided against categorizing this as spam for that reason. Sometimes it feels like all the security trainings my office has us completing while we work remotely has turned me into an amateur privacy and security detective. ;)

I thought it might be helpful for me to share my thought process on this in case this ever comes up again!

10. JanAtheCPA

Nice to know you have these skills, @Dorado!

Dorado likes this.
  11. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I’ve had to complete far too many risk assessments!

Glad to hear Wayne State University is looking into this topic as well.

Stress & Health Lab likes this.