1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Self care is health care.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sita, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Sita

Sita Well known member

What do you do for self care? Daily or weekly.

I have a list with things that I do and choose from them, do not do them all in the same day. But many from the list.

- meditate;
    - stretching;
    - cook something very simple, can be a fruit salad;
    - knit outside on the balcony, in the sun;
    - take a bath;
    - go for a walk;
    - listen to music or sounds from nature (birds, river, wind, rain etc. on youtube while knitting or reading);
    - cleaning the house;
    - gardening on the balcony;
    - playing with the cat or...just listening to the purring cat...a sort of therapy for me.
    Etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Kittyruns likes this.
  2. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

Daily:
    - meditate
    - nutritious green smoothie in the am
    - generous sun exposure
    - short stretching routine
    - walk my dog and my cat who thinks she is a dog

Weekly:
    - calisthenics and a little weight work
    - hike
    - write about emotions
    - dream about what I'd like to experience/accomplish in my life
    - read fiction and watch philosophical debates on YT
    - game on my PC

Kittyruns and Sita like this.
  3. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

My daily health care routine

Aim for a healthy diet
    Take lunch breaks
    Go for a walk at lunchtime
    Get some exercise before/after work regularly
    Develop a regular sleep routine
    Meditate

Kittyruns, Sita and Idearealist like this.
  4. Solange

Solange Well known member

Perhaps not every week but fairly often, I watch 'virtual ' walks on YouTube. They have often been produced by amateurs (I like the less polished quality) but some have been filmed to be used by people when working out on treadmills etc. I usually only watch ones which have beautiful countryside or seaside scenery because that is what I like. I also tend to pick ones which are walks in the sunshine and have nature sounds rather than music .I sit in a comfortable chair and really let myself be absorbed into the scenery. Especially great in winter.

I go for a walk every morning first thing. At the moment it's very pretty with the new leaves coming on the trees, the water lily leaves poking up through the surface of the pond and newborn lambs with their mothers in the fields. I am very lucky that I can walk three minutes out of my door and see this.

I severely limit my daily exposure to the news to what is just necessary to know. Anything more can depress and upset me so I try to avoid it.

I love reading but it doesn't matter how many brilliant reviews a book has had, if it mainlines misery I just walk on by and find something more personally uplifting.

There are other things I do but not as regularly as every day or week. I shall be looking for inspiration from other posters!

Kittyruns, BloodMoon and Sita like this.
  5. Sita

Sita Well known member

Nice Solange. It sounds wonderful the scenery, you are indeed lucky.

I too, stopped watching the news. Entirely. Don't care anymore. Got sick of it. I find online "positive news" and read them. Quite interesting.

Take care.

Kittyruns likes this.
  6. Sita

Sita Well known member

Some more:

- taking supplements daily;
    - having a very healthy diet, I made some significant changes recently;
    - keeping the mind clean, using mantras and affirmations daily;
    - not complaining (this one is hard, I have to remind myself over and over to practice it);
    - spending less and less time online and more and more time with my hobbies and outside in nature. Making espadrilles, knitting, baking bread, cleaning the house. I found that choosing to clean something daily relaxes me.

Kittyruns likes this.
  7. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

I try and get outside each day. Some sun and fresh air, green tea, veggies sautéed with garlic/brown rice/lemon. Reading Bible verses and trying to memorize them. Cleaning and cooking.....there are so many wonderful little sweet things we can do with ourselves to calm the CNS.

Sita likes this.