1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Self-Compassion & TMS Tie-in

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ftaghn!, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

I recently came upon this article;

"A growing body of research suggests that self-compassion, rather than self-esteem, may be the key to unlocking personal and career potential. Psychologist Heidi Grant Halvorson explains why self-compassion—a willingness to look at your own mistakes and shortcomings with kindness and understanding—is more than just a buzzword."
    http://lifehacker.com/5945018/to-succeed-forget-self+esteem

I thought it was relevant to TMS; self-compassion is apparently more than a concept used in self-esteem commercials, to the point where self-esteem may actually be a sort of false flag. Indeed, self-compassion seems like a credible way to disarm perfectionism to some extent, to forget about the idea of strength, and instead focus on acceptance. Or simply, not making a big deal of the small stuff.

veronica73 and Susan like this.
  2. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Funny that you mention this now. I finally contacted a TMS therapist the other day, and during our initial phone conversation, she guided me to Page 204 in Unlearn Your Pain to read the section called "Kindness to Self". In it, Dr. Schubiner references an exercise from a book by Christopher Germer titled "The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion". The ironic thing is that this very same book had been in my Amazon cart for several days. Needless to say, I finally submitted my order. :)

Thanks for the link to this article.

3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

4. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

I would also add Forgiveness here as well. Compassion is critical, but truly being able to forgive oneself is the action one can take in the name of self-compassion.

Forgiveness - for oneself and others - is so very powerful. It can melt away a lifetime of emotional and physical pain. I have experienced it in my life and continue to reinforce this idea in those I am privileged to treat.

- Dr. Z

Becca and veronica73 like this.
  5. Becca

Becca Well known member

Agreed. I think Alan also mentioned something similar in the second webinar event:...something along the lines of "changing the relationship with yourself" in order to move forward.

That being said, it's so much harder than it sounds...