1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan G. shivering and TMS

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I experience occasional bouts where I become very cold and cannot stop shivering or yawning. The only thing I can do is bundle up, crawl into bed and sleep. There is no way to function during this period. Is this a complaint/symptom of others with Sjogrens?

Sincerely,

Patricia Dahl

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  2. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Patricia,
    This absolutely can be a symptom of TMS. In fact, this is a symptom I once experienced as well. The first time I ever did a radio interview about TMS, twenty minutes beforehand, I started shivering and getting terribly cold. I put on a huge jacket, a scarf, and turned the heat up to 80, but still it persisted! Once I realized that it was yet another TMS symptom and stopped paying attention to it, it faded. It's happened a couple times since then, but once you throw something into the TMS category, it's a lot easier to let it go when it comes up. Remember, the only power a particular symptom has over you is it's ability to scare you. Once it loses that power, you have it on the run.

It's always important to get physical causes ruled out of course, but I'm guessing this is your TMS brain finding new and clever ways to get your attention.
    Alan

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.