1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Shoulder pain TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jawarrior1, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

Hey guys, I have had shoulder pain for 5 years from unknown origin. It always affected my bench press and I do want to get strong but am having belief problems. Since learning about TMS now I only get shoulder problems after lifting heavier weights.

I went to an orthopedic who injected a liquid in my shoulder and gave me some kind of scan and then an xray. He said he found little to no abnormalities and that perhaps its the tendon rubbing against some type of tip or bone. In the end he told me to exercise and not worry about it and that I am not a candidate for surgery as I don't need it.

I went to see a physical therapist and showed them my results and notes and they told me its "okay" to push myself.

I came out of a journey of shoulder pain with the only possibility that it is TMS. In the past I overcame other TMS symptoms but this one is particularly stubborn and has more to do with getting strong. Shoulder pain and runners itch are the only things I struggle with now(Psychogenic) and they only have to do with when I push myself.

Tips and thoughts?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have had bouts of pains associated with activities (hitting, throwing,running)... I have 'beaten' every single one by a sort of athletic meditation whilst doing the activity in a super 'inside myself' focus.

Number one, I am telling my unconscious "I am in control, not you" and Number two, when I provoke the symptom I am oftentimes going in a time machine back to when the errant thought, fear or lack of "feeling a resentment I oughta be feeling" converted itself into a symptom.

Oftentimes it has nothing to do with an activity. I might have gone to the batting cages while I was going through a personal crisis and it decided to get my hip.... I might have played a game while I was unconsciously angry about new guys on the team eating into my playing time....

..and sometimes It's as simple as remembering someone who I looked up to giving me a 'warning' about a certain exercise or warming up or whatever... it got into my head and turned into the Nocebo. That one would be classified "unconscious fear of hurting myself" or as Sarno called it, Physicophobia

In all of those instances, I had to do the activity with no distractions, alone... No talking or listening to TV or radio...totally listening to the inside voice and what it is trying to say.

Booble likes this.
  3. Booble

Booble Well known member

You had two professionals tell you that you could exercise and not worry about and it's OK to push yourself.
    That means you have nothing to lose by letting go of thinking about the pain. It can be one of those, "So what. It hurts. Big woop."
    The medical experts are telling you that you are not going to to make it worse. That you have nothing to worry about as far as your shoulder goes.

So....celebrate.
    Then
    Work out.
    Or do whatever.

If the pain is nothing physically busted as they are telling you. You have nothing to lose by doing whatever you want to do without regard to your shoulder.
    Woot!

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

@Booble I had the opposite, and still got better pushing through anyways. Since virtually NO Drs make the TMS diagnosis, at a certain you have to become your own advocate....What do I have? Does their story make sense? Why did my 'injury' get discovered right when all of this inner turmoil was going on (divorce, job loss, going to college, having a baby,etc)

I was told by the team Dr. of the NY Knicks that I would NEVER return to sports or physical labor. I was also told I risked permanent paralysis If I ever even JOGGED again. Then I read about TMS and learned everything I could...and went for a sprint. And after weighing what Sarno wrote vs. what THEY said...Fuck 'em. They have no clue what they are doing..why do you think so many pro athletes have turned into little gossamer's...good medicine? Athletes used to play 15-20 seasons and maybe miss a little time with a real injury like a broken arm/leg. Nowadays you got multi-millionaires missing half and whole seasons for 'calf strain' and mystery arm ailments that never get better.

The MRI has been the undoing of athletics. The little bit of good it does is monstrously erased by the harm it causes...herniated disc, meniscus tears, little normal tears in ligaments as they age..all normal, and now all treated with surgeries and rehabs. ..and worse...the dreaded "You must be careful"

When I broke a vertebrae in my spine in 2014, I didn't find out until a check for something else in 15 or '16...and I was GLAD I didn't know because I worked and played, pain free, through the whole thing and knowing would have sucked. Sarno ever discussed this from a few different perspectives.

I think it's worth mentioning that as a coach and player I have never had one single incident where I counseled someone away from the system, where it caused them grief...quite the opposite actually.

It's good that @Jawarrior1 got an all clear, but I think it's also important for people to know that those are rare and sometimes you just need to be your own best advocate...well... Sarno is your best advocate and we get to make a choice, because of the what he taught us. I owe my entire last quarter century of fun and activity to him.

Booble likes this.
  5. Booble

Booble Well known member

100% and such a great point about the MRI being the undoing of athletics.

In the original poster's case he doesn't even have to "worry" about going against the medical establishment and their BS since they gave him the all clear. That makes it even easier for him to focus laser sharp on the TMS.

For other's reading as well, your post provides excellent insight even if the docs are telling you something else.

6. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

Yall are so helpful. :D

Booble likes this.
  7. MedicineWithin

MedicineWithin Peer Supporter

I love athletics and sports as well. I feel like sometimes athletes have unique journeys with TMS. You said in your post that it happens "when I push myself" Who is pushing who? Sometimes we can have a little internal conflict going on and not really be concious of it, besides the pain of course. I good place to start might be to reconcile those two parts of yourself. Doesn't mean you have to stop pushing yourself, it's just the "why" of pushing yourself that may need to be looked at so that you can align yourself in the best way possible. Maybe you have realized but fear and anger are very closely related emotions....

feel free to reach out if you like

www.thetaowithin.com[moderator edit: this is anonymous and unauthorized self-promotion]

thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2022