1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Signs of TMS!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Hen, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

The past few days I've had pain with sitting. I went to a friends for dinner and didn't really notice any pain with sitting while at her house. Woke up with a throbbing sensation in my right shoulder/mid back area. I haven't done a single thing to cause muscle pain there...was thinking about anger last night before I went to sleep and it almost feels like to me that the anger surfaced in my shoulder/mid back? Didn't feel anything in that area yesterday and then BOOM! it arrives.

Been re-reading Steve O's book and talking to myself a lot (self soothing). I've had some interesting moments-I always have pain when I go to our mall here but went on Fri. and walked around with no hip pain. Went to a friends house on Friday and my butt hurt while sitting there and she asked me about my pain and it made me feel so depressed.

I have to keep on keeping on. Some days are easier than others. Working on outcome dependence. Again-that's really tough for me but I'm laying down new grooves in my brain. This takes time.

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Hen. My TMS troubles began the same way--back pain so severe that I was unable to sit. I think you're on the right track in linking your emotions to the sudden onset of pain. I know my subC is very devious and crafty. Sometimes it creates pain out of nowhere. Other times it prolongs recovery from an injury.
    Keep on reading and trying things. You never know what will work for you unless you try!
    Blessings on your journey.

Hen likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ladies. I don't think it's a good idea to think about anger or pain before going to bed. I like to spend at least an hour before bedtime relaxing and thinking calming thoughts. I always loved taking a short walk before bedtime, a practice I began in college. If possible, take a short walk before bedtime, and practice deep breathing. I also like a cup of hot milk before going to bed. My mother always gave me and my brother and sister hot milk before bed and we slept right away.

4. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

new to this all: but really agree with Walt: dont think about all this before going to sleep..need some relaxing time.. this new jounal also: not to close to bedtime
    karina

5. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

Agreed about anger and bedtime but sometimes it just comes up. In fact I've been having really "angry" dreams lately and I've woken up with knots in my back. I journal earlier in the day but sometimes the mind dumps its contents without warning. I don't want to be so super controlled that I don't allow expression but it's all a matter of balance. I'm trying to work on that. Walt-I don't drink milk :)

6. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

i totally understand all you are saying : living in the same way..also trying out what works and what not. it is balance and searching to keep that etc