1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

So proud to be here - patellar (knee) tendonitis/ITBS/ankle tendonitis

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Waterbear, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so here's my picture.

[​IMG]

This is my first mile in a year and I feel great! I was so grateful and happy to have gotten here that I wept a bit at the gym. It hurt only a very tiny bit and today (day after), I still feel great, very minor pain.

I did a combo of walking and running. I'm so very happy! I'm excited to work up to a full running mile. This was a huge confidence builder for me!

April 2013, my right knee hurt so bad I couldn't extend it in one motion. I was diagnosed with patellar tendinitis and ITBS and went to physical therapy. During therapy, my left knee got worse and worse. I saw improvement in my right knee. PT was only 2 months so when I was let out, both knees hurt and I was told to keep working out. I'd say I only was 1/2 better. I kept doing my PT exercises until Oct. 2013 when I developed groin pain, which was quickly followed up by "ankle tendinitis" after an apple picking outing.

I'm a graphic designer and I was wearing 2 knee braces and 2 ankle braces (and 2 elbow braces and a wrist brace) to do my desk job. I was miserable. I went online and searched "I'm in pain all over". I just wanted to find a coping technique from the chronic pain institute or something like that.

I found an article on TMS and started to learn about it. My apply picking incident was the first bit of evidence that this was TMS. You can't get achilles tendinitis from picking apples. I started running in Nov 2013. It was a hard road. I would hurt after runs and sometimes I would give myself a mental break and use the bike instead. I kept trying though, and yesterday, I ran/walked my first mile since my "injury".

So very happy to be here :)

2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Waterbear that's marvellous news, well done you !! tiphata

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Calum

Calum Well known member

That is awesome, great job! :happy: Thank you for sharing!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations, Waterbearer. You're doing great. You found the answer that TMS caused your pain.
    Keep walking/running and you will keep feeling better. Success builds confidence.

G.R. likes this.
  5. sarah430

sarah430 Peer Supporter

As a fellow runner I want to say Woohoo!! And Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

6. nancy

nancy Well known member

So happy your feeling so good. Confidence builds on confidence, little by little. You've
    done a great job! Keep in touch with us all, we love to hear success stories.

G.R. likes this.
  7. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Thank you for sharing!!! How Awesome!!!!

8. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

Update!

I ran a mile yesterday!

I ran the entire way, no walking breaks. It was hard but mostly because I’m not in very good cardio shape yet, not from pain. Today, I feel tired and my muscles are sore but my knees are okay, maybe like 2% pain.

I want to thank you all for saying, “Yes, you can” when the rest of the world said, “You’ll be broken forever.” You gave me the courage to try, and really all we need is kindness and courage to persevere.

I still have some work to do. I still have pains and anxiety, but the support and guidance I got here has made a huge difference in my life, and how happy I am.

Knee and ankle pain people, it gets better. Have hope. I wasn’t able to run for over a year, and now, a mile! :)

Bless you all.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, running a mile is some super great progress Waterbear, how in the world did I miss your first post around. You are awesome, simply awesome. You have taken back your life and now you are the one in control driving your life to the beat of your own drum. You got all the right thoughts. You are healed. Bless You my friend. tiphata

Calum likes this.
  10. Calum

Calum Well known member

That is fantastic Waterbear! I am so happy for you. I'm so glad you managed to overcome your fears and give running another go. This is a fantastic success for you!

11. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

Ran an 11 min mile and zero pain the next day! This might be my last post in this thread, but in case someone finds this, I felt like I wanted to wrap this up with one more post.

Again, thank you all! Never give up!

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle