1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Some basic questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Free of Fear, Aug 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Hi everyone! I changed my usernme - I was BacktoBasics before, but then I realized even my username was showing how much I see my back as my problem. So, here I am, aiming to be free of fear : )

I was going to bring these questions to the drop-in chat (happening now), but it wouldn't let me on. "Error - You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

I'm really getting more on board with the TMS approach. More and more I believe there's no structural issue with my back. So, as I move into the program, here are some questions I have:

1. Pushing through pain
    I'm guessing this is different for each person. How do people approach this though? I mean, if I'm experimenting with walking again and it starts to *really* hurt, muscles quivering, 8/10 pain etc., I'd be inclined to stop and rest. Someone without TMS would probably do the same. Like, Moseley and Butler recommend scaling up so as not to trigger flareups. And I think Sarno said something like this in HBP, about experimenting with walks on a good day, so as to set up having a good experience.

2. Physical therapy
    I understand that doing exercise in order to improve the back is another form of fear behavior and buying in to the idea that the back is the problem.
    So, my situation: I've started seeing a PT I really like. She mainly does Feldenkrais adjustments on me, which feels great, and I'm noticing all these nice changes in my body (my feet are more aligned, my upper trunk is moving so much more freely as I walk, etc.). I'm also enjoying doing some exercises again - *but* they are tailored for the back. Here's the thing: after all these months of inactivity, my back really *does* feel different - it's harder to twist and bend over, for example. I don't believe these are structural problems as described by doctors (bulges, DDD, etc.), but changes from inactivity. So, I like working with a PT who I trust, as I rediscover my body and start moving again.
    Another example - I really LIKE rolling my back over a tennis ball. It feels good to hit those trigger points and add a really different sensation to that area.
    I just wanted to run this by people to see if this jumps out as a red flag to anyone!

3. Posture
    What do you think about sitting posture?

Thank you everyone!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Free of Fear :) (imo a great positive name change, by the way)

I'm not healed (yet) myself and I'm in a similar position to you, i.e. the pain gets so bad that I feel I have to stop and rest (with me if I were to carry on, from experience, I'd have debilitating muscle spasms that make me bedridden). I was reading an old post in another thread by fellow forum member @Andy B who advised the following about exercise/pushing through the pain: "...I would say that some people push through, and others add activity when there is less pain. Both systems seem to work, based on my observing stories here for a long time." To me this observation of others' success stories is heartening - I've decided to gradually add activity when there's less pain, but still move around as much as I can - without pushing myself and overdoing it - at other times.

I too really like Feldenkrais :). I've never had one-to-one sessions, but I do some Feldenkrais movements every day and they're so relaxing. I think some people may advise you that it's best to give up PT because it can make you think 'structural'; however, from my experience of Feldenkrais, it's very meditative, which is a mind/body positive - and I surmise that the one-to-one sessions would be like that as well.

I wonder if the most important thing - other than perhaps to use an ergonomically supportive fully adjustable chair particularly if you have to sit all day in an office - is to get up and move around on a regular basis...Our bodies often tell us when we really ought to shift positions and/or get to our feet and walk about. (I'm not sure that this really answers your question tbh as these are just my own thoughts on the topic.) I saw this thread the other day that I found interesting with regard to there being some discussion in it about posture and sitting http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/newbie-question.19224/#post-101466 (Newbie question).

I hope some of the above might be helpful to you in some way. All good wishes for your healing journey.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Free of Fear and Time2be like this.
  3. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

I agree with BloodMoon on Feldenkrais. It might depend upon the therapist, but usually Feldenkrais is not really PT. The goal is to learn to move effortless, like a child. And for me it also had a psychological effect. I had to laugh a lot when I experienced how easy it could be to move instead of using all your muscles. I felt a relief.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Free of Fear and BloodMoon like this.
  4. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Thank you both! This is really helpful. See you around the forum : )

BloodMoon likes this.