1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Stamping Out Plantar Fasciitis!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by capegirl, Nov 2, 2013.

1. capegirl

capegirl New Member

1404718_10201640579190130_1053003591_o.jpg
    Hi Gang,

I joined this group about a month or two ago when I stumbled upon Andy B's story online. (http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/foot-pain-remarkable-recovery.1988/) I felt inspired and encouraged by this and even made a few contacts with people after commenting on his thread. The support has been great. Thank you all for sharing your stories. I felt that I needed to add a little of my story to the forum as I feel I am reaching a great point of what will ultimately be a great success story.

To start, I have been struggling with plantar fasciitis for 16 years!!! An avid runner from about the age of 10 to 17, I had to give it up when the pain became too unbearable. Fast forward 16 years--many doctors seen, treatments tried, physical therapy, Extra Corporeal Shockwave Therapy, lots of rest, orthodics, sneakers (even at my wedding!), along with finishing high school, college, getting married, becoming a teacher, masters, having children, starting a business--and here I found myself STILL with the pain.

I thank God for bringing me to this "diagnosis," and for the relief and victory I have found in such a short time. The BIG news I have is that after challenging my symptoms and fears of symptoms, for which I was only aware of once I started challenging them, my pain has been subsiding. For example the morning after my first real run I had LESS pain than I normally did. I believe that through running that with each step I validate myself as a runner and confuse all the other pain pathways that are normally at work. I have also experienced tingling while running, headaches and shoulder stiffness, but I know that this is my nerves just being confused.

One thing that has been helpful for me is that I created an alter-ego version of myself--like a superhero version of the person I remember being before pain set into my life. Her name is "Running Girl." Running Girl believes in anything empowering and positive. She is young and carefree. Running is just one of her superpowers. I got some new running clothes and when I put them on it helps me to get into character, so to speak. (I know it sounds silly, but I heard Beyonce say she does the same thing when she performs since at heart she feels shy.)

After a triumphant run at my favorite old running spot and beach two weeks ago, I decided that I needed an event to train for to keep me focused on my recovery. SO, I am running the Falmouth in the Fall road race tomorrow. It is 7 miles! A little long, but it's the best race and one of the last races to do around here before the winter sets in. It is going to be my chance to ultimately "slay" my plantar fasciitis, although I know I will need to continue to learn about TMS and myself.

The amazing thing is that I have been learning so many new things about myself and the situations in my life since I started this whole process. I believe I can now start to build a new mindset and set of expectations for myself that will be much healthier for the me-of-the-future. I know I am going to do things a little differently, and while I figure out what that will look like, I am simply going to DO LESS. Everyone around me will just have to be patient with that. And while I figure out how to do less, I may just REACT more to the chaos around me. And everyone around me will just have to be patient with that. :) But, so far, it actually hasn't been so bad. It hasn't been such a bad or difficult thing to say "no" to this or that, and no one seems to even notice or mind! And I've just been more aware of my emotions and stresses, and that has not been so bad on the world either, although at times it's been, well, "inconvenient."

I will share more of my story on another day. I am eager to help other chronic pain sufferers look into the possibility of TMS as the main culprit of their pain.

God Bless!

map76, Lotus, lowella and 3 others like this.
  2. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi, I started out with plantar problems, please take care of this now. Mine led to shin splints,
    then hip and sciatica. You don't want to go there. It has ruined my life for 8 yrs now because
    I didn't know what it was. I went from Dr. to Dr. Please just accept the TMS and go with it!
    Love and hope to you, just accept the TMS!!!! Nancy

Lotus and North Star like this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Cape Girl- I love the alter-ego idea! I may have to come up with one of those myself. You know, I read that Cary Grant was terribly insecure and struggled with depression. It is said that he would wonder, when faced with a perplexing issue or anxiety, "How would Cary Grant deal with this?"

I've used that technique in a slightly different way. When I'm struggling with something...like my people pleasing tendencies...I will ask myself what a friend- who has strength in the area I'm lacking- would do. It really has helped me. I think the alter-ego idea is taking that to another level. Or rather just envisioning the strong and capable woman I know I am...she's just been buried under TMS for so long! :D

I look forward to hearing more about your story. And yes, Nancy...you are spot on too. My leg issues kept moving on up or down the line....accompanied by the medical narrative. GAH!!!! No more! It's TMS! :eek:

PS LOVE the picture!!!

4. nancy

nancy Well known member

You are wonderful Montana, I was a bit hesitant to write to to you as you seemed so
    knowing and was a much much better writer than I was. We all need help. let's just
    come together as I need too, thank you Montana, Nancy

MontanaMom likes this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

It's good to be able to journey with one another, eh, Nancy? We can grown stronger together!

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Capegirl,
    I thank you for the heads-up about your page here, on the "success story" thread I started. Wow a special FOOT thread, with some beautiful feet, to boot.

I love
    "I know I am going to do things a little differently, and while I figure out what that will look like, I am simply going to DO LESS. Everyone around me will just have to be patient with that. And while I figure out how to do less, I may just REACT more to the chaos around me. And everyone around me will just have to be patient with that."

I hear a wonderful amalgam of insight, will, and the needed inner protection to see things through! What a way to put your foot down :0 !!

I have been really taking stock of issues in my life around boundaries, standing my own ground, occupying my space/time/body. It started with a friend who is doing training in Somatic Experiencing, and I looked into some of the theories, practices of this approach. I realized how unsafe I feel much of the time (in the background) and how I habitually give up my own space and safety on so many levels, often to be "in connection" with others. Wow!

So I really resonated with what you said, both in its content and in its quiet force of expression. And I am excited for you, because for me lately, just a little contemplation of these issues (and your aims may be different) has led to lots of chances to sense into what is needed for me in the moment, and for me to protect my aims, and follow-through with strength. Whether that's running for 15 minutes, or leaving a situation which is draining to me, or telling my inner critic to get lost. I am celebrating new capacities! And I can feel the reduction of tension as I stand my ground.

I am picturing a sort of 'wrathful compassion' for me, and I hear it in your words too. An awakening which is protected and nurtured, deep down. It is guarded softly sometimes and at other times with force, but the new growth is irrefutably precious. It needs to be guarded on the inside in relationship to habitual internal dialogues and habits, and it needs to be cared for on the outside in relationships.

Good luck to us both!!

Lotus, Sarah79 and North Star like this.
  7. Sarah79

Sarah79 Peer Supporter

I love the phrase 'wrathful compassion,' and I love the idea of people just having to wait while you take your time to figure out how this, how YOU, are going to work. I've had no boundaries for about three years; time to change all that.
    Congratulations and thanks for your victories and insights

8. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Dear capegirl,

Reading here from time to time , and any post which starts with a picture with two feet on it and a 'Thumbs up ' gets my attension right away.
    As a footpain sufferer i am very impressed with your story. And really thinking about it. Livin with pain and sneakers and orthodics etc : its also my story. The tms part in terms of : what exactly is causing it , is hard to really work out so far. I know there is fear etc. I never saw myself as a real pleaser and not being able to protect my own boundries. But you got me thinkin further on that (Thanks for that!!!) but i do realize that am able to say 'no' and have for a long time , but : and maybe that's the real deal : Never without feeling quilty or feeling that i am failing. Thinkin i should be stronger , better etc. So When i do say no to someone or something to protect my own boundries, i do not feel good about Myself . So maybe this is thing to explore for me. Thanks for your story and major respect for running after footpain: !! to me a normal long walk would be victory enough : you are going much further. Greetings Karina

9. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

I know this is an old thread, but I just got through a severe bout with Plantar Fasciitis (despite the fact I have fixed several other issues with TMS therapy), and I particularly agree with the quote above. I'm actually glad I encountered some of these "injuries" (including a hip that I had surgery on) because it introduced me to something that has literally changed my life and my mindset.

Hope you're still out there doing well and running "Running-Girl"!

JanAtheCPA likes this.