1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Book Steve Oz: What's your "Mental Transparency Routine"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by zclesa, Jun 3, 2019.

1. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

Ok, in "The Great Pain Deception", Steve Oz. suggests doing a daily mental transparency routine, with certain activities. They are supposed to be things that become "second nature" to you, "requiring no forethought as to the mechanics of the process". He says they become an active meditation because we are aware of, but become unconcerned with, our surroundings.

He lists things like crocheting, playing guitar or hitting golf balls, which I kind of understand. If you know how to do them properly, you can get into the "flow state" where you are very present with the activity but not thinking about the process.

What other things could you do? I don't think anything is "second nature" to me apart from writing, which I can get totally lost in, but I guess that wouldn't count since you are actively engaging your mind too much. Same with reading and most of the other things I'm skilled at and can get lost in.

The only other thing I can do that I can get lost in is brisk walking to music, but I can't do that daily for purely practical reasons. It would be helpful to have some things I could do at home.

Any suggestions? I'm not about to start crocheting. It would have to be something you enjoy, I guess, or you won't stick with it anyway. Would hula hooping work? I enjoy that and I'm pretty good!

2. Annifred

Annifred New Member

Zclesa: I would think that hula hooping would be great for you, given that you said you enjoy it and you're good at it. You could also briskly walk, listening to music whenever you can. I think the key is to find activities that you enjoy.

zclesa likes this.
  3. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

Thanks Annifred. Hula hooping's a nice childlike thing to do as well. I never had a hula hoop of my own as a kid, but as an adult I really got into it!