1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Success? For a second time?

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by 6498w, May 21, 2016.

1. 6498w

6498w New Member

I may be writing a bit prematurely, but I think things are starting to click!

I say for a second time, because back in the late 1990's, I addressed debilitating back pain with Dr. Sarnos methods. I even visited a practitioner in Madison Wisconsin, Dr. Nancy Selfridge. I went from barely walking to being able to run sprints with absolutely no pain!

This time around, TMS reared its head as a condition medically known as Spasmodic Dysphonia - essentially spasming of the vocal cords (and considered "idiopathic". It makes speaking difficult to impossible, and it takes immense effort to even be heard. As a Realtor, Professional singer, and soccer coach - this was a great way for TMS to get my attention!

I was having a very difficult time accepting the TMS diagnosis for this condition, since almost all of the literature is focused on pain. The fact that this is nerve related, though, gave me just enough hope to start the sed program.

Yesterday, I had a major break-through! I was journalling about an issue that I have bottled up for a while, and I noticed I was starting to get terrible heartburn. I never get heartburn, so I began thinking about what might be causing it. Then I caught myself and smiled, realizing what that I had TMS on the run!

I came out of the journalling and my voice was much better, and the heartburn went away within 10 minutes of me recognizing what was happening. Then about an hour later, my mouth started burning. This was a symptom that had popped up before my voice got bad before. I actually looked it up at the time, and the good old MD's have been kind enough to name it for us; BMS (burning mouth syndrom, and also idiopathic). I began to fret over what was causing it - was it something I had eaten? an allergy? etc.

Then I caught myself again, and within about ten minutes the pain subsided!

My voice is 75% improved over the baseline "Spasmodic Dysphonia" voice that I've been experiencing for the last 4 years. I am nervous to even report that publicly, but I'm so excited and think I have crossed the bridge of fully accepting the diagnosis!

I'm only on day 10 of the SED program, and I think that's a testament to the power of it. I am also deeply grateful for several people that reached out to help on this forum when I first posted. That support and the suggestions have been a huge part of me coming to terms with the TMS diagnosis again.

I guess it's a bit premature for me to offer advice since I've only just begun to experience improvement, but I would like to send it out there that I believe almost ALL chronic conditions should be evaluated as potentially having TMS as the root cause. Dr. Sarno definitely points in this direction with his extensive list of TMS equivalents.

Thanks to all of you that created the SED program, and all of you participating on this forum.

Nate

shmps likes this.