1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

"The Body Keeps The Score"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Oct 15, 2019.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This is an excellent article distilling the key components of a book that I've seen recommended often on this site, but have not yet read, "The Body Keeps The Score" by Bessel van der Kolk, MD:
    https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/06/20/the-body-keeps-the-score-van-der-kolk/ (The Science of How Our Minds and Our Bodies Converge in the Healing of Trauma)

I expect that his work aligns perfectly with my other must-read books for what we call TMS:

The Divided Mind, by Dr Sarno, MD

Hope and Help for Your Nerves, by Claire Weekes, PhD

When the Body Says No, by Dr Gabor Mate, MD.

Four brilliant and brain-changing books, three of which do not even reference the term TMS, but all of which open the eyes, mind, and heart of the reader to accept the truth and find healing, each from a unique point of view.

In other words, there are many ways to approach the work we do here.

plum, MWsunin12, Dorado and 1 other person like this.
  2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Jan, you're a forum hero. Bumping this up so everyone sees your recommendations.

plum, nowa and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@JanAtheCPA that’s a great article. I’d forgotten how good ‘Brain Pickings’ is. I know it was someone here who introduced us to it but it’s been an age since I read it.

And to this insight I would add that at different points in our healing we sometimes need a different approach. I’ve not read “The Body Keeps the Score” but it strikes me as being entirely relevant to this fresh round of healing. I no longer resent the time it takes to recover or wish it would be neat and quick. I now view these layers a little like pass-the-parcel, a game played in childhood where layers of wrapping were removed to reach the prize inside.

This is why the focus on symptoms is wrong and why the issue of the symptom imperative so key. We can rid ourselves of TMS but unless we have done the deep psychological work we remain vulnerable to it popping up again. And this takes the time it takes.

I’m midlife so am naturally experiencing a change in emotional seasons. It is Autumn inside and out. My favourite season.

Thanks Jan for the soul food. xxx

Kati, nowa and JanAtheCPA like this.