1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Fear & Anxiety Page

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bodhigirl, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Hi, TMSerati,

I am in fear. Anxiety. Angst. All three of the big triggers for me, bigger than anger and resentment. I keep trying to tell myself it's excitement. I am going to be really honest here because I can feel the tension building in my back, like I want to contract into myself and disappear rather than drive my new car.

I even did a web search for people afraid to drive new, highly technical cars. Nothing. So, I knew I had to come here and out myself. I got a great, amazing new car and I'm afraid to drive it. It feels like it's above my pay grade, that I will never figure out how to work the apps sufficiently to be as safe as the car can keep me, so long as I pay attention, of course.

So, I said it. The Tyrannical Shoulds that analyst Karen Horney wrote about in the 1940's - and Sarno mentions in his books - can create symptoms. I should be excited, honored and I should be happy! But I'm scared.

The good news is this: I told you-all. When I get in the car, I will orient myself, I will be mindful, I will take my time. I will reach out for help to the 800 helpline if I need it, I will not should myself but rather meet each emotion as it arises, each sensation as it arises, with just "hello" and a little curiosity.

Wish I could take you all on a ride with me and we could laugh about the fear. This is the best I can do for now.

Thanks for listening.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I like your strategy. Sort of like getting to know a new horse, no?

MWsunin12 and Bodhigirl like this.
  3. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Congratulations on your new car. And kudos to you for recognizing how it is raising your anxiety level, and coming up with a good plan to deal with it.

Enjoy the ride.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  4. Bodhigirl

Thanks so much! I drove my own neighborhood this evening, just getting used to the feel of it... I think I will be fine now that I landed in my body, honest, authentic, not too cool, just so grateful to make anxiety a natural thing, like hunger or being happy or tired. Just another state and nothing to get twisted up over. Or in pain over!

Celayne likes this.
  5. Bodhigirl

Exactly, Ellen.