1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Mindbody Prescription or The Divided Mind?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Aurora, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

I’m currently reading the Divided Mind but I see that The Mind Body Prescription is recommended a lot. I figured I’d read it before I start the structured program. I chose the Divided Mind because it’s the most recent one. I figured I’d read it before I start the structured program. Or should I read The Mind Body Prescription instead?
    I read Mind Over Back Pain 4 years ago when my arm pain symptoms just started out and I was told to substitute the words back pain for arm pain which was hard to do since Dr. Sarno states early in that book that only back, neck, shoulder and buttocks muscles were affected by TMS.
    Perhaps back then was too soon for me to hear about Dr. Sarno. It was before I had exhausted all sorts of therapies short of surgery. It’s only until recently that I’m really paying attention to the contradictory physical explanations I’ve been given to explain my pain. So now I’m back to reconsidering what Dr. Sarno has to say. I feel like I’m reading his book from a new perspective.

2. sarah430

sarah430 Peer Supporter

The Mind Body Prescription was my first Sarno book (and first TMS book) and I can highly recommend it. My pain is not strictly back pain so I found it very helpful that it wasn't just about back related pain. Recently I've been considering reading The Divided Mind too to add to my knowledge and reinforce Sarno's guidance.

3. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

Thanks Sarah!

I just realized that there is a book subforum that answers this very question.

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Sarah, the Mind Body Prescription is a much better introduction to TMS than the Divided Mind. Don't get me wrong, you'll want to read the Divided Mind after MBP for a more detailed analysis of TMS. But the MBP touches all the bases in the shortest time.

5. nancy

nancy Well known member

I also found the MBP to be great. It helped me a lot, let me know what you feel
    and think after reading it. I will help you in any way I can. Hugs to you, Nancy

6. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

I also read MBP first, but both are great. I've also watched the Sarno video posted on this site, several times. It helped me to hear TMS explained in Dr Sarno's own words. in the video and in later books Dr. Sarno does include RSI symptoms as TMS.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Aurora, The Mindbody Prescription is great, and before reading it, I suggest you look at the free
    2-hour video Dr. Sarno gave in his lecture about the book. It's wonderful and you learn about what's
    in the book. Then I do suggest you read it.

The link to the lecture is at:

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

OOps, wrong link.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

this is the url to the Sarno video.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)