1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

therapy via skype

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cherrybomb, Jun 11, 2013.

1. cherrybomb

cherrybomb Peer Supporter

Hi guys, i was thinking of starting therapy with the pain psychology centre and was wondering if anyone had experienced having therapy via skype (as this is how i would need to do it). Is it better to be face to face with a therapist i wonder? thoughts appreciated
    Cx

2. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Hi. I have been to a couple therapists through skype and it has been great! I have in the past met in person over the years and I can think of very little difference. It is more about finding one you like and can learn from in my opinion. Good luck!

John

3. trypp

trypp Peer Supporter

Dr. Peter Zafirides, who frequently posts here, recently covered a covered a study about the effectiveness of different forms of therapy. Summarizing the study, he wrote, "No differences were found when comparing individual with group therapy. In fact, you don’t even need to be in the same room as your therapist! Internet-based therapy was found to be just as effective as face-to-face therapy."

You can read the full thing here: http://www.thehealthymind.com/2013/06/02/what-form-of-talk-therapy-is-best-for-depression/

4. cherrybomb

cherrybomb Peer Supporter

ooh that sounds promising then. Many thanks x

5. Nicole J. Sachs LCSW

Nicole J. Sachs LCSW Therapist and TMS Author

I wholeheartedly agree! I work with many patients remotely and it is very effective! I prefer FaceTime if people have a Mac, as it tends to be clearer and therefore more effective as a therapeutic tool. But Skype works great as well! Best of luck. xoxo

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Nicole, thanks for dropping by!

For those who don't know, Nicole is a former patient of Dr. Sarno's and is now a TMS therapist and author. Her book is called The Meaning of Truth. She was on Dr. Sarno's alumni panels for years, and she is helping us to help create free online events where some of the presenters at the alumni panels will tell their story just as they did at the alumni panels. If you can't wait for those to be organized (it may take a while :() she also recorded her success story in a video from our media library. I know the interview must be good, because it passed what I call "the girlfriend test."

What is "the girlfriend test," you ask? Well, this nonprofit has been my absolute passion for four years now. Needless to say, my poor girlfriend hears an awful lot about it. And getting her to watch anything having to do with TMS is, well, challenging. But as I was editing the "Sachs interview," she just started watching. ... All the way to the end! And it's around 50 minutes! I didn't have to do dishes or anything! (J/K)

Watch, you'll know why.... It's just a compelling story:

Enrique likes this.
  7. Nicole J. Sachs LCSW

Nicole J. Sachs LCSW Therapist and TMS Author

Forest! I need to meet this woman and shake her hand... I couldn't watch me speak for 50 mins! ;) LOL. In all seriousness, thank you for including me on this forum. This work is so important and I'm honored to be a part of it. Thank you also for your tireless effort to help people suffering with TMS to feel connected to one another. Dr. Sarno is certainly proud. xo, n.

Enrique likes this.
  8. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

CherryBomb.

I am undertaking Skype-based TMS therapy sessions with
    Dr James Alexander (author of 'Hidden Psychology of Pain')
    & it works beyond expectation. Obviously James is experienced,
    highly skilled & well informed but I have been surprised by
    the personal connection availed by the on-line medium.

On a certain level, it has enabled me to be perhaps more
    open on personal details but this might be due to confidence
    in James' approach & his ability to hold my narrative.

Maybe also a readiness on my behalf.

Pete

9. bagofwater

bagofwater Peer Supporter

Although there's a couple of TMS therapists in the Bay Area, I can't afford their rates. It may perhaps be in bad form to discuss what rates various therapists charge, but I'm wondering if there's any therapists out there that I could see via Skype that might be more affordable.

Thanks!