1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Things that Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Livvygurl, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

I was thinking it would be fun and helpful if we posted about what has been successful in our healing experiences. I listened to Louise Hay's audio book Dissolving Barriers: Discover your Subconscious Blocks to Love, Health, and A Powerful Self-image, the other day. I really enjoyed the way she normalized feelings of fear and guilt in her lecture – she is a wonderful speaker. Later that evening I continued with my journal practice and after that I had a profound feeling of compassion for myself. My honest journaling about family matters triggered a new sense of self-understanding and compassion. I wanted to share this because I stumbled upon the kind of self-acceptance that I am looking for! This is so I can be more connected to the estranged parts of myself that cause physical pain and body tightness.

What has helped you lately?

Layne, Beach-Girl and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Livvy, I love reading this - even though it made me sad because I have not done this - I haven't really been truly compassionate to myself, and there's a part of me that resists taking that next step, like listening to Louise Hay. Now there's something to journal about. Or just do it. Eesh.

When I started the Structured Ed Program last year I came across a number of references to Claire Weekes, so I read Hope & Help For Your Nerves which was a real turning point in healing my anxiety. I credit her book with the completely different relationship I have to my symptoms (what's left of them) when I do experience them now.

I do think that Dr. Sarno et al are right when they say that we need to keep re-reading the books. I see Steve O's book as a compendium of TMS and MBS knowledge from many different resources, and I'm amazed at the number of things I find that really resonate with me even though I already knew some of them from other places. I had a tough time in May/June for some reason, but reading Steve's book is really helping.

honeybear424 and Livvygurl like this.
  3. Shanshu Vampyr

Shanshu Vampyr Well known member

Things that help? Bear. :)

veronica73 and Livvygurl like this.
  4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Most helpful thing for me lately has been working with my TMS therapist and doing inner child work.

5. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

this sounds like it could turn into a great sticky thread. i hope everybody posts on here what has been helping them because i know this is a question im interested in and most likely a lot of other people as well. for me ive been reading the Great Pain Deception and have liked it a lot so far. I recommend everybody read it on here as well as Sarno's books. Lots of good information in their about mind body disorder and will probably answer a lot of questions you've been having about TMS and why things are happening like they are for you.

6. Livvygurl

Veronica, That sounds wonderful. I am meeting with a new therapist next week and hope to work on some deep stuff!
    Jan, I like the word compendium and I am glad to hear that Steve's work is resonating with you and dabatross ;)

Shanshu, I totally respect whatever works for u :).

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

What helped me more than anything else was reading other people's success stories. They really helped me gain the confidence and courage to give the approach a try. It was amazing to see how the stories, especially the RSI ones, reminded me so much of myself. The success stories were what really made me think that I could be physically active again and eliminate my doubts. I mean, if the approach worked for all of these other people who are just like me, than why wouldn't it work for me.

More recently, I gained a lot of encouragement by reading the stories on the Thank You, Dr. Sarno site. The entries people sent in were not very long, but were extremely moving and inspiring. The stories are such a great example of how successful this approach is in helping people become pain free and gain their lives back.

I also think that I have been able to stay pain free by simply being a part of this community. Turning my adversity into advocacy has really had a postive impact on my life and health. For one, reading people's posts have really helped me better understand TMS, but is has also been terrific to interact with other people who are committed to helping others recover from TMS.

JanAtheCPA, Livvygurl and veronica73 like this.
  8. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

What's helping me is overcoming fear and taking small steps ouside my comfort zone. It's not easy. It has taken a lot of self talk. But I have new habits and am finding them most beneficial. I have screamed at my "inner bully" until I was in tears. That was cathartic.

Breathing
    Breaks
    One small step forward
    Knowing that whatever my brain throws at me is TMS.

These are helping me in a very hectic world right now.

BG

Livvygurl likes this.
  9. Livvygurl

I just gently meditated my way out of some pain. Whew! I was adjusting my sitting position and the chair moved suddenly in a way that triggered my back pain. I was like "Ouch!" and my back was like "that was so uncool". So after a while of stressing about the pain I closed my eyes and quieted my mind by gently going towards the pain and feeling the shape, outline, and color of it in my mind. It was like I was befriending the pain - the pain and I were becoming allies. At some point in this process I began to comfort myself and said in my mind "Everything is going to work out", as tears streamed down my face the pain began to dissolve. I let myself cry a bit longer and it was awesome!
    :confused:+ :( = :)

G.R., Jilly, Forest and 2 others like this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

I wish I could "like" this a few more times, Livvy! This is SO cool. Good for you!

yay!

11. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Thanks for reminding me about this book, Jan. I put it in my Amazon cart a few weeks ago, but never got around to placing the order. Today is the day! I am certain that anxiety is a HUGE part of my pain problem.

Livvygurl ~ Thanks for sharing your meditation technique. I am going to try this.

What's helping me, I believe, is the daily meditation practice that I began just about a year ago (I only found Sarno's books about 5 months ago). The changes are extremely subtle, as I am still having a lot of TMS pain which is now moving around, but I feel slightly different...almost as if a shift has been made and there is no going back. Overall, it has helped me to be kinder and gentler with myself, even if only a little bit. It's exciting to be on the true path to wellness now that I know TMS/PPD is the root of all of my problems.

Livvygurl likes this.
  12. Forest

As strange as it may sound, if your symptoms are starting to move around than you are on the right path. Your symptoms are moving because your unconscious is feeling threatened that you have recognized what it is up to. This is upsetting to your unconscious mind and so it is putting up a last ditch effort to bring your focus back to your symptoms and make you think physical again.

This is how TMS works.

To overcome this you need to continue to educate yourself about TMS and remove all doubt. How much physical activity have you been doing? If you push yourself physically who will begin to force your unconcsious to accept that you do not have a structural problem. You are right about one things, you are on the true path to wellness. If you continue to follow Dr. sarno's methods you will continue to overcome your symptoms.

Livvygurl likes this.
  13. Livvygurl

525688_296629860422230_217894075_n[1].jpg Nice picture of Dr. Sarno : )

danielle likes this.
  14. Lori

Lori Well known member

There is a lot of good information on people's profile pages.

Deconditioning is key I think; a total change in thinking/belief is necessary. Moving a chair in a certain way is not causing harm, just as sleeping on a hard or soft mattress does not matter at all.

Finding joy in even "little" things is needed to balance life's stressors as well.

I really can't say there was ONE thing that was the most important; a bunch of things all together worked for me; details on my profile page.

Livvygurl likes this.
  15. Forest

This is such an important message and tip. If you think that something will cause you pain, it will. Finding a way to break through our old thought patterns of I can't do that or this will cause me pain will help us heal. Probably the best way to do this is to just do whatever activity we thought would cause us pain. If it was sitting in a certain kind of chair, sit in it.

For me it was typing on the computer. I had such a strong believe that typing would/was the cause of my pain. Once I confronted this and started to type again, my progress accelerated and my symptoms quickly faded.

Figure out what you have been avoiding and address them head on. This may act as a sort of shock to your unconscious and break the old conditioned believes.

Jilly and Livvygurl like this.
  16. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

Helpful things-
    1. Reading forum entries by people with similar symptoms. For example I recently read some people talking about "drop foot". I had thought this was something unique to me and it interfered with my belief that I don't have structural issues.
    2. Giving up my own therapies (e.g. stretching)

Jilly and Livvygurl like this.
  17. Stella

Stella Well known member

1. Reading has helped immensely, books and the wiki
    2. Medtation to help with the anxiety which I never realized I have because I have had it all my life.
    3. Walking 4-6 miles each day, some in the morning some late afternoon for anxiety and to keep the body from locking up.

Dr. Christiane Northrup suggested taking a dish towel and wacking it with all your strength on anything that won't break for 10 minutes while screaming and yelling at the person who hurt you most. This is exhausting. i wish i new to switch to my left hand after 5 minutes. I could not move my right shoulder for 5 days. I also felt TMS symptoms migrated to my shoulder. But it was still a good technique.

I was hoping to get rid of the last residual of pain. I now know that may never happen. Sandy

Jilly likes this.
  18. Forest

I love this! I have never done this, but it sounds like a great, and kind of fun, way to release all of our pent up rage.

These two things were pretty much the cornerstone of my recovery. Before learning about TMS I felt sort of like I was the only person in the world to have all of these conditions that move around. Knowing that you are not alone in this really helps.

19. sarita

sarita New Member

The constant positive self talk tracks, meditation, and when I'm in a really bad place, Tara Brach's weekly talks with guided meditation. She alone has pulled me out of every TMS funk I have ever had. Radical self acceptance and compassion go a long way.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  20. JanAtheCPA

I'm going to check out Tara Brach - thanks Sarita!