1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS/Acid Reflux

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stock Trader, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

How would you use the TMS therapedic approach for acid reflux? Would it be continue to eat all foods and think psychologically (like for back pain: continue to do normal physical activities)?

2. RikR

RikR Well known member

No! You have to approach any health condition from all reasonable treatment options for the best outcome. We who have pain don’t go out and run or in my case even walk distances right now. Irritation of the GI tract needs time to recover and not have further challenges.

In some cases GERD patients eat foods that are not healthy for a normal person. Some also smoke which is a major GI irritant. Will TMS work counteract these issues – NO!

If there is no structural abnormalities GERD is a central nervous system disorder made worse by the drugs used to treat it. These same drugs can also cause other major health problems as well as perpetuate GERD.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Stock Trader, I found that in my mid-forties (15 years ago) I needed to moderate my eating habits somewhat in order to avoid nightly GERD symptoms. I decided to avoid certain foods at dinner, and to eat less at dinner as well, because my metabolism was inevitably changing, but I could typically enjoy anything I wanted to eat during the day. However, although I was controlling regular GERD without drugs, I was still having occasional distressing bouts of nighttime digestive disturbances, for reasons which eluded me. I would obsess for the next day or so about what I'd eaten the day before, but I just couldn't find any patterns.

Of course, it turned out to be TMS. Now, if I feel any signs of an upset stomach when I go to bed, I examine my day, what kind of thoughts have been circulating in my brain, who I might be reacting to - and then I take some deep breaths, and "allow" the symptoms to calm down and dissipate. I am almost 100% successful with this, which I'm pretty ecstatic about. I'm not nearly as successful with my TMS dizziness, but even that went away for a number of months until I hit a brick wall last year with two different personal losses in my life that I'm still dealing with. However, just knowing it's TMS means I have a different relationship with it, which is very empowering.

So anyways - I think the bottom line is that you need to treat your body with respect, no matter what. You don't actually say what constitutes "all foods" for you, but as Rik points out, people are eating all kinds of processed garbage these days that our grandmothers (for those of us who are over 60) wouldn't recognize as being real food (and I'm paraphrasing the brilliant Michael Pollan when I say that).

You can use the power of TMS knowledge to heal your body of past abuses, and to resolve symptoms that are caused for no good reason, but do be good to your body going forward.

To quote and slightly paraphrase Michael Pollan some more: "Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Jan

4. Stock Trader

Jan I really appreciate this. When I started to get back pain, I started to get GERD relief. I was really confused at that time and doctors could not figure out. I have no issues at night with GERD, but I think I will start to eat as you suggested above. I prefer to eat well than taking GERD prescriptions. Is amazing how TMS plays with your body. I am so happy that I finally found out what I had. Is good to hear that you took no prescriptions for GERD. Do you have a list of foods that you recommend? I am glad I found you as a mentor. Once again, thank you very much. By the way I could sit longer now. My back has been improving without painkillers.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

Whoo Hoo! Way to go ST - isn't it cool?

So at the time I just did some reading about GERD and recommended diets until I zeroed in on a few key things to avoid, especially at night (which is apparently typical):
    fats
    chocolate
    peppermint
    alcohol

I don't drink very much, but those first three really hit me where it hurt, because my favorite dessert at the time was mint chocolate chip ice cream. Sigh.
    Other things I recall being bad are fried foods and carbonated drinks. Now, I like a really good french fry as much as the next person, once in a while, but as far as I'm concerned, soft drinks were invented by the devil himself to destroy the health of human beings. And there is no difference in their evil between diet and regular soda.

Anyway, I would recommend that you google around and see what's being said today, but apart from the obsession with the anti-reflux drugs, the diet advice is probably similar.

I would say that the main thing I did, which I do to this day, is that I started eating a large and substantial salad at night, instead of cooked food. Lots of different types of veg on a base of lettuce and cabbage, plus a few nuts, some fresh or dried fruit, and a bit of cheese or meat. Vinaigrette dressing made with olive oil. I drink a half a beer most nights. I know, that's pretty lightweight, but it works for me!

Here's my thing about food: I won't eat fake food. It's a pretty simple basis for what I think is a pretty healthy diet. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy the wide array of foods prepared in the gazillion ways that humans have invented over the centuries. I love to bake bread, but I use organic unbleached and whole grain flours, or if I buy bread, I'm careful about the ingredients. I cook and prepare my own food as much as possible. I always have a good breakfast with protein. I try to buy mostly organic fresh produce (easy to do on the West coast), and a lot of it. I mostly drink tea and and lots of water.

Here is what I identify as fake food: I went to a cookie exchange at Christmas. There were cookies that I came home with, which I threw out after one bite, because I could tell they were made with Crisco or margarine, bleagh. My motto is: if it's not butter, don't bother". Someone brought low-fat cream cheese to a party and left it with me - I tasted it, I looked at the label, I threw it out. It wasn't real, and it didn't taste real because it was so full of non-dairy additives. Regular full-fat Philly might not be organic, but I would have kept that, because it's mostly real milk, and tastes way better. I love real cheese, even more than meat - although real grass-fed beef, and organic free-range poultry, are far superior in flavor and texture to their factory-grown cousins. And as far as I'm concerned, turkey bacon is a fake food. Seriously - why bother? It is NOT enjoyable. Eat a moderate amount of the real thing, once every few months, and enjoy it (I invite friends so I don't eat it all myself).

Which leads me to my other motto, which is "no fat means no flavor". You don't want to eat a lot of high-fat foods - but when you do, eat them in moderation, and make sure they are good quality so you can appreciate them. The calorie difference of lower-fat processed alternatives is never significant enough to make the sacrifice worthwhile, not when you are moderate about your servings. Speaking of non-fat food, many of the more radical nutritionists are saying that whole milk dairy products are better for you than low- or non-fat ones - look that one up to see if the argument is convincing to you! It's a different way of thinking, to be sure.

Goodness - I really got on my soap box, didn't I? That's what you get when you ask me a simple question about diet :p

Okay, ST - it sounds like you are doing GREAT work, and we're really glad you're here. Maybe "see" you on the chat tomorrow (3pm Eastern time).

Jan

gailnyc likes this.
  6. Stella

Stella Well known member

I have had acid reflux for years. I took prilosec for years then started reading about it impacting my bones. So I started drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in water. It turns alkaline when being digested. It worked beautifully for years.

When participating in the Structured Education program I just felt I didn't need the apple cider vinegar any longer. I just stopped it. For a week I felt this need for multiple belches which I pushed internally to get that out of my chest. I did push it out. I talked to my chest "get out of me"... it did. I have being drinking alcohol, some coffee, lots of spicey food...no problem. I can eat anything now but do eat healthy most the time.

Of course I have the old tapes in my head of what to avoid which I do watch... what programming. I did feel pressure tightness this week. As Jan suggested I started thinkng about what stressful thing was going on. The pressure went away.

SebastianM and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. Stock Trader

Thanks for sharing your story SandyRae. Lately, I been testing the avoid foods and it seems that I am taking them well. Is not as bad as I thought. I been drinking more coffee and eating spicy food. I think it is FEAR of eating the "should not foods" that makes acid reflux worse. It is amazing how TMS really does its job by distracting us from the true cause which is our negative emotions and thoughts. Good to hear that you are no longer in acid reflux medication. The pharmacy industry must be hating your right now.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Stella

Stella Well known member

The pharmaceutical companies do hate me. 6 months ago I was on at least 10 medications. The Costco pharmacist and I are good friends.... not any more. Now the only medication is 1/2 sleeping pill if I wake up in the middle of the night which is usually always. I am sure it acts as a placebo but who cares if I get back to sleep.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. Stock Trader

SandyRae, may I ask if you ever found out from your doctor what was casing your acid reflux, before you ever knew of TMS?

10. Stella

Stella Well known member

If I recall he said they don't really know. He said some think it is this and others think it is that but basically they don't know.

11. JanAtheCPA

Yep, and yep, and yep again.

If "they" don't really know what causes "it" (enter your symptom here) you might as well assume it's another TMS equivalent. Because... why not?

12. Stock Trader

SandyRae, what personal Treatment Method you use to get rid of your acid reflux? Like reading, journal, meditation, self talk and etc. How many weeks you waited before decided to eat anything once you were in the Structured Education program? Which Sarno's book inspire you the most? Thanks...

13. Lori

Lori Well known member

Bingo.

If our mind and body are in a state of balance, foods will not affect us. (oops--almost used "should" instead of will)

I also believe that what we believe will be true for us. e.g. for me, I do not believe any food is going to affect my rest. And it doesn't. Yet I realize many believe that "if I eat that I won't sleep" thus making that statement true for them.

So to the original question: yes, I think acid reflux has emotional causes. Indigestion--what are we having difficulty digesting in life? Burning--what are we burning up about?

Another way of looking at it is: why would acid reflux NOT have an emotional cause?

The rare times I feel discomfort after I've eaten, my first thought is what is going on in my mind?

And Jan, I love that Michael Pollan book you quoted from.

Best wishes all, and you will find what works for you! :)

SandyRae likes this.
  14. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Newcomer

It seems that some balance has to be struck between psychological work and physical relief especially in a case like Acid Reflux. This is not just bothersome muscle pain but also involves some tissue damage from escaping acid. One may not afford the time to simply use affirmations and classical music etc. Sudden halt to reflux medicines has been claimed to cause 'rebound'. Trial and error with health professional guidance may be the best option for this type of TMS manifestation.