1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS and Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by sev1988, Mar 12, 2017.

1. sev1988

sev1988 New Member

Is Arthritis TMS or a TMS equivalent. I seem to recall reading in Steve's book that what he calls PTA arthritis is but not rheumatoid. Also I have mild Cerebal Palsy and it's affecting my joints causing pain. Could the joint pain still be TMS?

MindBodyPT likes this.
  2. sev1988

sev1988 New Member

So I wanted to reply because I had another a huge TMS breakthrough! I was outside walking around my lovely backyard area in my appartment complex. And I just kept walking. My knee was complaining as usual. But I decided to focus on parts of my body that felt great. As I did, I knee pain went away. This awesome enough, but then I had the TMS holy grail moment. Dun Dun dun!! The pain started to move around to spots where it knows it can bother me some more! It move to one of my fingers. I was like "Sike" and it moved again to my right shoulder. And I was like "Nope You can't mess with me" After which the pain monster knew I had won and graciously surrendered.

It messing with me now is I type this, but no worries I know what to do!

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting question. It's one i've been pondering myself! I think that joint pain from arthritis (OA or RA) CAN be TMS. Arthritis means the wearing away of cartilage in the joint. This is a natural process that occurs as we age. Much like disc herniations, if you did imaging of many people's knees over a certain age, a lot would show arthritis. But many would not complain of pain. Based on reading and experience, I do think a lot of pain people attribute to arthritis is really TMS. CP can certainly cause joint issues...but persistent pain from them is likely TMS and nothing more.

sev1988 likes this.
  4. newarrior

newarrior Peer Supporter

good