1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS and OCD

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Havehope, Jan 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Hi all!

I posted a couple of weeks back about pelvic pain which had recently resurfaced after over 5 years. This has now pretty much gone (yay!) but I’m now suffering with OCD; the theme being my relationship. I’ve also had this before (started last summer and thought I had finally beat it but it’s now returned). I seem to jump from problem to problem but wondered if OCD could be another form of TMS? Does TMS always have to be physical pain? I feel like I’m constantly in an anxious state and it’s so draining. Can’t remember what it’s like to not be worried about something all the time. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Physical pain and mental issues (anxiety, OCD, depression etc) are all connected in our brain. Reduction in physical symptoms always resulted in rise of anxiety and obsessive symptoms for me. It is called extinction bursts. It is very normal. I highly recommend Claire Weekes audios (there are links posted to those somewhere here on the forum).

Jane.Fearless and Havehope like this.
  3. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Thank you for this. That’s good to know. I’ve heard people talk about Claire Weekes before but haven’t listened to any of her stuff yet. Will check it out!

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS and OCD are synonymous... Sarno was on to it and I can assure you of it having been diagnosed with OCD. It had completely gone away by my thirties when I got pain... it was replaced by all sorts of other pain and drama.

Just as the thing that we're 'binding' in OCD (germs, other people, peculiar superstitions) the pain serves as a distraction from the REAL cause... and just like TMS , when the real underlying issue is faCED the anxiety dissolves. It's really that simple.

Jane.Fearless, Havehope and TG957 like this.
  5. Havehope

Havehope New Member

This makes sense...I always have to have something going on, whether it’s mental or physical. Like I said, I can’t remember a time when I wasn't stressed/worried about something. My mum has a long term serious health issue which has caused and continues to cause me a great deal of stress. I guess I need to develop better coping mechanisms!

6. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well...you sort of have. TMS is a 'coping mechanism'... Just like with OCD, the command center of our brain senses a possible emergency and diverts our attention to a Chimera. In fact, it's so freaking simplistic, most peoples ego's won't consider the possibility...we all want to think of ourselves as complex and nuanced and we're NOT. I have learned a lot about myself by watching my dog.

Sarno said that his cure rate would be zero if people had to change themselves. It is only through continued raising of awareness that BOTH of those bastards can be kept at bay(TMS and OCD). WE tackle them at the door and never let them in.

That means careful inspection of the things in our lives... especially the ones we think we are coping with. .... Rage, shame are the big ones for me.

My Mom has a serious long term health issue? Deep down I am in a RAGE that I am 'supposed' to be a good child and be the custodian of my Mom when I want to go play baseball, find a girlfriend and be one of the cool kids.

I just finished a few years of watching my Mom who had dementia. I had to cut back on work hours, social life, played zero baseball and had to corral a crazy child-like version of My Mom, with all the attached pain body.... the same Mom who ditched me right after my Dad died when I was 5. If I didn't have this tool kit available I would have been screwed. Fortunately this is a preventative method... Sarno even said, "I don't treat pain... we want to prevent it from happening"

Awareness and education is the key. What each individual does with that might vary, but we always need to face down the 'liar' that says "Hey... I'm OK". After we do...everything actually is OK... paradoxical for sure, but extremely effective.

TG957, Havehope and Tennis Tom like this.
  7. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

Like people already said in this forum and a lot of people not in the forum, but in general, I strongly recommend Hope and Help for your nerves by Claire Weekes. It has helped me tremendously for OCD.

I'm going to start reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle to see how this helps!

Havehope likes this.
  8. Havehope

Havehope New Member

I’ve just ordered hope and help for your nerves, thank you! I wanted to get Unlearn your pain too but it seems like it’s quite hard to get hold of. Can’t seem to find a copy for less than £50!

9. DWA

DWA Peer Supporter

It's 25$ if you purchase directly from his website...

Havehope likes this.
  10. Havehope

Havehope New Member

Got it, thank you!