1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS healing simplified in 3 steps!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Miriam G. Bongiovanni, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Miriam G. Bongiovanni

Miriam G. Bongiovanni Peer Supporter

Hello everyone,

Yesterday as I was sending a follow-up email to a client, I realised how TMS healing can really be simplified in 3 steps. I wanted to share this in the forum so it would reach as many people as possible, in the hope that the way forward will be clearer. You CAN heal from TMS when:

1) You become more aware of what is generating pain and anxiety in your life, and you believe that this is the cause of your pain, and not a structural or physical problem - this involves being aware of personality traits that contribute to TMS, being aware of conflicts, current stresses or past traumas that may have caused the pain, and believing that pain is conditioned in your body due to these emotions as well as due to the fear/frustration/disappointment at the pain itself. It is also crucial to eliminate doubts in the TMS diagnosis at this stage, by looking for proof that what you have is TMS (and if in doubt as to whether you have a serious illness, consult with a medical practitioner).

2) When you learn not to fear pain, and not to react to with frustration and disappointment - You need to learn to laugh at your pain, to take its power away, and not recoil from it with fear, and other negative emotions. At the same time you need to accept that you have pain in the present moment, while believing in the possibility that it won't be there forever. Mindfulness for chronic pain and Self-talk can help with this step (I used to talk to my pain and tell it that it's being stupid, that it can stay if it likes but I'm not going to be bothered with it, etc, etc).

3) When you fully believe that being pain-free is totally possible, no matter what activity you do - this involves taking your expectations to the next level, from seeking pain reduction' to wanting and truly believing that being 'pain-free' and limitless is possible. Many people who have been in pain for a long time just cannot imagine that this is possible, and if they can't 'see it and feel it' in their minds, then it would be very difficult to achieve it in reality. Suggestions to yourself like, 'What if I don't have to be in pain at all?', 'What if one day I will just wake up and it will be gone', can work wonders, as well as vizualisation exercises that focus on cultivating the right feelings associated with being pain-free.

I hope that this proves inspirational to someone out there, please feel free to add your own suggestions in the thread!

Miriam Gauci Bongiovanni

(TMS Coach and Mindbody Practitioner at Painoutsidethebox.com)